Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moving to Colorado in 3 Weeks!!!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Aubrey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:28 pm

Welcome! Always glad to see Colorado newcomers that actually appreciate what they have. You're gonna love it.

Many Floyd fans on here, BTW (it's drenched in my soul, for one). Shine on!

Postby jamienellis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:37 pm

Floyd? I thought we had another Neil Diamond fan on board!?!? :wink:

Just kidding. Welcome! I agree with Aubrey, you'll love it here! It's been a dream come true for me.

-Jamie
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby Aubrey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:19 pm

jamienellis wrote:Floyd? I thought we had another Neil Diamond fan on board!?!? :wink:

Just kidding. Welcome! I agree with Aubrey, you'll love it here! It's been a dream come true for me.

-Jamie

Oh, god, there are Neil Diamond fans out there? I need some time ... please, crazydiamond80, straighten this out. In my mind, you're a cool, Pink Floyd fan that was born in 1980. Please tell me this is all true. Your coolness factor is on the line here.

Postby Flatland Biker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Welcome Aboard Young Man! Hope Your Journey With Us Is A Great One. I'll Never Forget My Excitement When I Finally Scratched A 25 Year Itch And Made The Move To Gloryland. I Hope Colorado Is Everything You Think It Is And More. I'm Sure You Will Enjoy The Springs Area. Don't Look In The Rearview Mirror When You Pull Out Of The Windy City. You Won't Miss The Midwest..Flatland Biker
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:42 pm

To the Forest Service, is sleeping in my car the same as camping?
Many times, signs say no camping, but don't say no overnight parking. In Sedona, where I just was, it specifies that both are prohibited. Some other places are specific, but not all.
Question aside, I have slept on a mattress in the back of the car at or very close to the TH for almost all the 14ers I've done, with no problems.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby cbauer10 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:04 am

Scott Patterson wrote:Missouri, Belford, and Oxford

There is tons of camping near this trailhead. It is in a national forest, meaning anything is fair game unless otherwise posted, which it is not. Yes I would agree that you can't camp right at Missouri Gulch, but 50 feet up the road is one of my favorite camping spots in Colorado. It is right on the riverbed next to the creek. There is also campgrounds at Winfield and Clear Creek Reservoir. Maybe you just meant right at the trailhead though.

Long story short crazydiamond80, there is always somewhere near the trailhead that you can camp at.

Postby KirkT » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:14 am

Welcome to Colorado. I'm sure your going to enjoy it as much as I have since moving here last May from Texas. Anytime you want to go hiking in the midweek please shoot me an email or PM and we'll take off. You are going to enjoy it here..

Kirk

Postby Beaker » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:26 pm

I (we) made the move from Chicagoland to Ft. Collins about 7 years ago. Its nice to go back for a visit (in the summer) but would NEVER even consider going back for good. Can't believe it took me so long to get out here - now when we do go back to visit familyall I do is wonder which 14er I'd be climbing if I wasn't back 'home'.

Just curious but where about in the Chicago area??
You have a cough? Eat a whole box of Ex-Lax tonite, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

Postby crazydiamond80 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Aubrey wrote:Oh, god, there are Neil Diamond fans out there? I need some time ... please, crazydiamond80, straighten this out. In my mind, you're a cool, Pink Floyd fan that was born in 1980. Please tell me this is all true. Your coolness factor is on the line here.

Rest assured Aubrey (and anyone else who is concerned), I'm a huge Floyd fan and was born in 1980. No Neil Diamond for me thank you. I noticed your Maynard avatar...I'm also a big fan of Tool. Saw them a few months ago. Awwwwwesome show.

Postby crazydiamond80 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:06 pm

Beaker wrote:Just curious but where about in the Chicago area??

Beaker, I'm currently in Schaumburg which is a northwest burb of Chicago. It's your typical, dull, overpriced suburb. The only thing going for this place is a big mall. woohoo.

Postby Aspen Summit » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:38 pm

I think we should plan a Summer Gathering for the 14ers.com group like we had the Fall Gathering last August and welcome Jim by making him listen to us sing John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" after 5 rounds of beers :twisted:

Who's up for torturing the new guy with this plan? Hahaha!! :lol: Just teasing Jim! WELCOME TO THE OPEN SKY COUNTRY!! WOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby Flatland Biker » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:24 pm

When I moved from Iowa to Colorado six years ago, all my friends I left behind said that I would have an earring and a pony tail in six months. Hehe, haha! I don't. I am in better physical and mental condition than ever. I love the blue skies and all of the opportunities to exercise!!!
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

PreviousNext