Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

places to stay

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

places to stay

Postby keith » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:06 am

Other than a ski trip to Breckenridge I have never been to Colorado before. My freinds and I are planning on hiking Longs this August. I have already learned a great deal from the postings on this forum. One thing I haven't seen are good places to stay. We are currently considering The Woodlands on Fall River. Is this a decent place? Is it relativly close to the trail head? Are there better place to stay around $180/night? I would appreciate any suggestons.

Postby fleetmack » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:15 am

look for anything in estes park and you're 10 minutes from the TH
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Andy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:20 am

keith wrote:Other than a ski trip to Breckenridge I have never been to Colorado before. My freinds and I are planning on hiking Longs this August. I have already learned a great deal from the postings on this forum. One thing I haven't seen are good places to stay. We are currently considering The Woodlands on Fall River. Is this a decent place? Is it relativly close to the trail head? Are there better place to stay around $180/night? I would appreciate any suggestons.

A friend of mine owns the McGregor Mountain Lodge. Ask for Michael and tell him I sent you.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby RenoBob » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:36 am

Unfortunately, summer is high$$$$ season for everything around Estes Park. There are a lot of lodging options, but none of them will be "cheap". Take a look at this site for some ideas.
http://www.estes-park.com/lodging/cc.html
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:55 am

Andy wrote:
keith wrote:Other than a ski trip to Breckenridge I have never been to Colorado before. My freinds and I are planning on hiking Longs this August. I have already learned a great deal from the postings on this forum. One thing I haven't seen are good places to stay. We are currently considering The Woodlands on Fall River. Is this a decent place? Is it relativly close to the trail head? Are there better place to stay around $180/night? I would appreciate any suggestons.

A friend of mine owns the McGregor Mountain Lodge. Ask for Michael and tell him I sent you.

I'd second this one... Michael's a great guy.

Postby summitrunner » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:14 am

If you are willing to drive about 30-40 minutes check out Loveland, Fort Collins, and Longmont for hotels. You will save a lot of money for that drive.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby mtnmaniac » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:37 am

Last edited by mtnmaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hurt.... or injured?

Postby mtnmaniac » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:51 am

If you have to stay under a roof and have shower paid at the same time, go the to Koa Kampground out by the lake. If you don't mind a tent, go south of town on hwy 7 to the NF, take a left 9 miles or so out on 'cabin creek road'. (you'll actually pass the Longs trailhead access road en route to cabin creek). It'll lead you up to an easy 4wd road enroute to the Twin Sisters where you can just pull out, and have a fire, heh heh fire. NF is free and this particular area's only 20 minutes out of town. You can shower at the rec center if necessary.
Are you hurt.... or injured?

Postby ccunnin » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:54 pm

Nice mountain to start your climbs. Hope you're doing some conditioning.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

YMCA of the rockies

Postby Jack » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:04 pm

Here's an idea,
Mt family and I stayed in Estes Park for a few days about five days years ago and stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies. It is kind of like a little resort in Estes Park and they have a very wide range of living situations. The choice that we made was to stay in very very basic cabins. They just had bunk beds and I don't even recall if there was a sink or anything. Anyways, if you are just going to climb you might not really need all the amenities of a big hotel. Staying at the YMCA cabin was only like 50 bucks a night (or something ridiculously cheap like that) for our family of four. The YMCA area is very very close to RMNP, so much so that my dad and I went for a hike not more than 1/2 mile before we crossed a river to find a welcome to Rocky Mountain NP sign. I don't know about the availability of these cheaper cabins, but I would definitely suggest giving them a call or at least check it out at http://www.ymcarockies.org. Hope this helps. Have a good climb.
Jack

Postby Cptkahuna » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:57 pm

The YMCA of the Rockies is a gret place to stay. A friend and I stayed there for several days while we climbed Longs and several other peaks in RMNP.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellom!

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:47 pm

well for 20 bucks a night you can...CAMP! you can find some nice secluded places up hwy 7 that arent flooded with tons of tourists and are actually quite quaint. or quite quiet and quaint.

Next