Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Durango to Needleton

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:14 pm

So our goal is 13h even Chris, sound good? :twisted:
Eric

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:22 pm

thebeave7 wrote:So our goal is 13h even Chris, sound good? :twisted:
Eric

Yeah, one-way maybe!

Postby jhaas » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:49 pm

first part of June? We tried it a few years ago In July and couldn't get close due to the ice and snow. Don't know what the snow conditions are this year but it could be a long few days. That said you could be snowed in in a worse place, say Minnesota.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:59 pm

2 other routes exist that will get you to Chicago Basin without the train. One starts at the Vallecito Creek Trailhead and goes over Columbine Pass, the other one starts at the Endlich Mesa Trailhead and goes over Trimble and Columbine passes. Vallecito Creek is about the same distance as going from Durango Mountain Resort and Endlich Mesa is a little shorter. Vallecito is probably more work since you have to go over Columbine Pass from Vallecito Creek, Endlich Mesa is probably more work as well since the you will have to descend down to City Reservoir and back up. That being said, Endlich Mesa is a spectacular way into Chicago Basin.

A Backpacking Guide to the Weminuche by Dennis Gebhart is a good book to use for those 2 routes.

Postby Billygoat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 am

Thanks to you all for this info., there's a lot I was wondering about too regarding this hike in to the Chicago Basin area.
Listen to your body, it tells you when it's had enough.

Postby Hungryclimber » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:43 am

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info - Does anyone know a good place to check the weather out there too? I know, I ask too much...

Thanks again!!!
Climbing Rocks Doesn't Make You A Rock Star?

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:50 am

Hungryclimber wrote:Thanks everyone for all the helpful info - Does anyone know a good place to check the weather out there too? I know, I ask too much...

Thanks again!!!

NOAA's website is pretty good:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Silverton&state=CO&site=GJT

Re: Durango to Needleton

Postby Matt Mahoney » Sat May 12, 2007 7:52 pm

cftbq wrote:
Matt Mahoney wrote:It's been done in 13 1/2 hours, BTW.

Matt, you never told me this! Who did it? When? How!? What does he eat/drink/smoke/meditate on?? I want some!

That was Jim Nelson from Utah. He kind of mentioned it casually to me last year. Otherwise I would have never known about it. I asked him about it but he didn't give me a lot of details, but he did also climb North Eolus, which I didn't. He did it kind of like I did, wearing a trail running hip pack and running a lot of the way. Except he is a faster runner. He is one of only four people to finish Nolan's 14 in 60 hours, where you climb 14 14ers on the southern Sawatch range (Massive to Shavano) with no vehicle travel. The best I have done is 11 (Shavano to Huron in 59 hours, and Massive to Princeton in 64 hours).
http://www.mattmahoney.net/nolans14/

Also, he had the advantage of being fresh and making the whole trip (36 miles) in daylight. I was tired and sleep deprived before the start due to pacing 58 miles at Hardrock over the weekend including from sunset to sunrise the day before my trip. On the way back I was taking little naps on the trail along the Animas river in the middle of the night.
-- Matt Mahoney

Postby danny bray » Sat May 12, 2007 9:02 pm

I just bought my train ticket. There is no break on the $65 fee when getting off at Needleton.

Previous