Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Here it goes...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 am

I would recommend spending the night at the TH, just don't get stuck on the way up like I did (thank goodness another car came by and helped)! You might not get the best sleep but you won't have to worry about waking up so early to make the drive. I would also check Bill's gear list to make sure you have the essentials.

Above all else--HAVE FUN! Anything short of a good time might deter you from future trips, so make the first one count!

Postby Aubrey » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:39 pm

On the road: I've made it from the trailhead to I-70 in less than 10 minutes. Without being reckless, I might add. It was hell on the suspension and shocks, but the Xterra handled it just fine. I was born to be a Baja racer, though.

One time I got stuck behind someone driving so slow I was lugging it in first gear. I mean, come on. They were CRAWLING through puddles! ](*,) The road really isn't that bad. And if you have problems on this road, don't even bother with half of the roads to 14ers.

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:42 pm

Be at the trailhead ready to hike not later than 6:30. Don't forget to layer on the sunscreen and bring wind protection.
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby Trail Doc » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Don't overdo it. If you're new to 14ers, be prepared for altitude sickness, bad weather and don't be afraid to turn around. Remember that you're out there to have fun, not make the summit at all costs. My mother still complains about an ill fated backpacking trip my father took her on thirty five years ago. That was her first and last.
If I wanted a sport with rules, I'd be playing golf.

Previous