Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

couple guys from TX

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

couple guys from TX

Postby 455supreme » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:43 am

Hey whats up everyone? Me and a couple of friends are thinking of coming up to Colorado for a week this summer and doing some hikes. Anyone have any recomendations and/or prep sugestions. It's flat in TX so just doin 14,000 ft mountains would kill us.

Thanx for the help

-Austin

Postby rlw49 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:56 pm

Read as many of the posts here as you can. Plenty of info about what you are asking. Decent conditioning would be a plus. Run stairs or stadium steps for endurance. Don't hike in blue jeans and cotton t-shirts.
Camp out as much as you can. If of legal age, drink plenty of beer and eat beans. The carbonation and gas will force oxygen into your system, and help your endurance. Ok, that's not really true, but it makes for an entertaining campfire. Many nice places to go and hike. The San Juans in the southwest corner are beautiful. Camp around Vallecito Reservoir.
The area around Buena Vista has many hikes, biking, and raft trips if your so inclined. Gosh, I could keep going forever.

Postby MtHurd » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:44 pm

It all depends on where you are going to be and what you want to do. There is plenty of hiking in the San Juans if that is the part of Colorado you are going to be in. Give us more info and we can give you suggestions.

About the only thing you will need to do to get in shape is run. Everyone reacts differently to altitude, most don't have too many problems. Make sure you have rain gear as it rains almost every day in the evenings.

Postby Big Tex » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:22 am

Coming from Dallas (500 ft) I make sure I run for 2 months in advance and run hills or bleachers on our many football stadiums here. I have never had any problems with the altitude when I was in good shape.

My first 14er was Elbert but now I am making my way though the San Juans. I enjoy their solitude. Wetterhorn You're Next!!

I also practice for long hikes on the Ouchita trail in Arkansas. It's 214 miles of rolling hills and you won't see a soul on the trail. 2,000 foot gains in some places, and 3 hours from Dallas. Good Luck

Postby NM-Aggie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:43 am

Big Tex,

Are there any trails in Southern OK? Around the Red River? I'll be going to the Weminuche this July for 50-miles and my friend and I would really like to get in some 10-mile prep hikes. I know there is nothing around with much elevation gain, but we are first looking for a 10-mile loop somewhere near by (no more than an hour away). I didn't know about the Arkansas trail. 3 hours is a little far, but it may be worth it to get some elevation change.

Oh yeah, we are in Denton/Flower Mound area.

455supreme, read as many posts from here as possible. I have found lots of good information.

Thanks.

NM-Aggie

Postby Big Tex » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:26 am

There is the Cross Timbers trail near Whiteboro on Lake Texoma. It's not a loop but it's 16 miles one way and it has some elevation change. It's about 45 min. to an hour from Dallas. It's a pretty trail this time of year.

There is also the trail on the West side of Lake Lavon near Wylie. I'm not sure the exact name but it's 9 miles one way. I think it is a horse trial too so watch your step. This is my favorite local hike, althought the lake is drying up fast from the drought.

There are some loops you can make at Lake Tawakoni state park.

I'm not real sure about Southern Oklahoma. I know that the South Eastern part of the state is beautiful, and there must be great hikes there someplace. I'll have to research it more.

Postby NM-Aggie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:01 am

Thanks for the information Big Tex.

We are going to try some of the trails around Grapevine Lake as well.

I'll dig into the southern OK trail situation to.

Thanks again.

NM-Aggie

Postby MtHurd » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:48 am

There are some descent trails in the Chickasaw National Recreation area and a few at Turner Falls, although the distance probably isn't as long as you would like. It is beautiful scenery though. 2 hour drive for that.

If you don't mind a 3.5 hour drive, the Charons Garden Wilderness in Oklahoma near Lawton is a great place to practice class 3 and 4 climbing, class 5 if you want. There are some trails, but there is tons of bushwhacking leading you off into the more remote parts of the wilderness. The Kiamichi Wilderness of Oklahoma has plenty of hiking including ups and downs but again, it's about 4 hours away.