Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking to bag my first.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Looking to bag my first.

Postby CLG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:29 am

I'm looking to get out soon for my first 14er.

I read the stickies and stuff, and have some of the gear....I understand the classes etc...

I'd like to get after one this weekend.

Here's my questions:

1) Can I hike anything right now that's not going to require crampons and such? ...just a hike in regular hiking boots?

2) Can I hike alone? Do any of you do these alone? I'm game for company, but I doubt that'll happen.

3) Can you give me some suggestions on something easy and doable in the least amount of time. I'd like to do an early morning/ day trip ...don't want to camp overnight just yet ....unless I have to.

4) I don't think fitness will be an issue, I run 20+miles a week and race at an 8 minute per mile pace ....I think I'll be ok. I also hiked like 3.5 hours around Golden last Sunday with ease. I've spent time in the Mountains my whole life, just not all of it in the rockies so I'm not completely noobish :D

5) Thanks in advance for any helpful tips and suggestions. I just want to get out there.

Postby gdthomas » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:58 am

The East Ridge route on Quandry Peak would be a good first 14er. You won't need crampons and probably won't need snowshoes depending on the weather late this week and into the weekend. Snow on the trail should be packed down, melted or windblown the entire way up. You can hike Quandry alone although you'll likely see other hikers on the trail. Keep hydrated and expect windy conditions above treeline. Given your inexperience, I'd turn around if there is even a hint of bad weather.

Postby CLG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:55 am

The East Ridge route on Quandry Peak would be a good first 14er. You won't need crampons and probably won't need snowshoes depending on the weather late this week and into the weekend. Snow on the trail should be packed down, melted or windblown the entire way up. You can hike Quandry alone although you'll likely see other hikers on the trail. Keep hydrated and expect windy conditions above treeline. Given your inexperience, I'd turn around if there is even a hint of bad weather.

Thanks ...I'll research more into this. I appreciate the feedback, I know my questions will seem basic, boring and moronic to veterans but you have to start somewhere.

Going out for my daily run now. I may try this tomorrow, if not I'll look for good weather during the week next week and try it then.

Thanks again.

Postby MN teleMARKer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:30 pm

As your first, I would suggest hiking with another person. I did my first winter 14er (Mt. Elbert) a couple of weeks ago with a few others from this website. Although I have done 14ers in the summer alone, I felt there were more dangers in winters conditions to feel comfortable solo. Just my opinion.

Mark
Wake up every day with a purpose

Postby denalibound » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:55 pm

Quandry is a good choice.

I would suggest bringing snowshoes though. I haven't been up there this week, but this time last year I went without and found myself in post hole hell in the trees and just above tree line.

It's probably better to have them than to not, and if the snow is hard at the top you could use the teeth on the showshoes for grip.

Postby fiddlinclimber » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:55 pm

I agree with Denalibound. You can rent snowshoes for cheap, and it would be better to end up carrying them than wishing you had them.

Postby CLG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Ok thanks fella's ...

I'm running over to REI it's like 15 minutes away ....to grab some snowshoes ... I've rented before, up in Steamboat ...and my brothers have a few pairs but they're out in Tahoe :)

$15 for rentals is fine, I bet I could get them up near Breck for like $5 but I'll be up there too early.

I got a few PM's so if those guys read this call my cell.

Anything you'de recommend before I head out so I don't make two trips?

I'll dress myself from head to toe ..lol....you tell me:

1) Hiking socks.
2) Asolo Boots ...about ten years of wear and still kicking strong. :)
3) Should I pack long underwear or wear it? I've got a few pairs of some thin patagonia wicking stuff I picked up on sale a few years back.
4) North Face Convertible pants ...love 'em ...but are they too thin? I've got winter ski pants if needed. Temps and wind forecast might help me ...lol
5) Tech Tees galore
6) Lightweight Fleece pullover
7) Marmot Windshirt
8) Mountain Hardwear Soft Shell and Mountain Hardwear outer shell ( like a rain jacket, gore tex blah blah blah )
9) All my stuff is wicking layers etc ....I'll pack a winter hat and gloves.
10) Telescoping Poles
11) Rented snowshoes
12) Noth Face MG45 pack ...is it too big? ...my GF has a smaller Gregory Day Pack I could bring instead.

The rest, sunglasses, sunscreen etc I'll pack

Then what about food and water. I've got a Camelback 70oz for water ...I could bring a few nalgenes as backups ....what are your "racking" thoughts...

Are there little things that you have brought that make the day more enjoyable?

I would prefer to go as light as possible ....your suggestions are appreciated.

Postby CLG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:36 pm

Ok ...got a look at the forecast for Breckenridge 34 degrees right now.

So I've got my clothing situation pretty much answered.

LOL.

Postby tshesky » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Beware of heavy snow this weekend. The northern Front Range is looking at a foot above 9k feet. Not sure about Quandary and the rest of the Tenmile and Mosquitoes, but am pretty sure they'll be seeing some good snow as well.

Not to discourage, just a heads-up for you.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Postby CLG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Beware of heavy snow this weekend. The northern Front Range is looking at a foot above 9k feet. Not sure about Quandary and the rest of the Tenmile and Mosquitoes, but am pretty sure they'll be seeing some good snow as well.

Not to discourage, just a heads-up for you.

Yeah, i'm *curious* about it myself.

Bummer.

Any good weather links or sites for the hiugh country that I might not know about?

Postby tshesky » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Well, of course there's the NWS site...

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/den/

Although I think this is already bookmarked on 14ers.com. Great link, though. If you click on a specific spot on the map, you'll get the forecast for that specific spot and elevation. This one's good for checking-out current snow depth across the state's high country:

http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=CO

You might like this one, too:

http://kamala.cod.edu/co/

If you click on one of the forecast discussions, you can get a good take on what the NWS offices in Boulder, Pueblo, and Grand Junction are thinking as far as rain/snow/severe weather forecasts for wherever you want to go hiking.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Bag1

Postby CLG » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:47 am

Consider it bagged :D.

I'm sure you'll see a TR in the coming days.

Good times.

Next