Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

All the 14ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

All the 14ers

Postby sender112 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:34 pm

My goal is to climb all of the 14ers by the time i graduate college
i am a senior in high school this year and plan to start my quest this summer
i wanted to start last summer but got extremely busy
I was looking for recomendations on some to start with
I live in Loveland so im definetly going to do Longs
I also have a brother in Durango so I have become interested in antero, harvard columbia combo, Uncompahgre, Yale, and others along the way
Which of these (or others) should i definetly consider, and which 14ers should I hold off on until I get more experience
SEAN-"Colorado: Real men don't need guard rails."

Kiefer

Re: All the 14ers

Postby Kiefer » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:11 pm

sender112 wrote:My goal is to climb all of the 14ers by the time i graduate college
i am a senior in high school this year and plan to start my quest this summer
i wanted to start last summer but got extremely busy
I was looking for recomendations on some to start with
I live in Loveland so im definetly going to do Longs
I also have a brother in Durango so I have become interested in antero, harvard columbia combo, Uncompahgre, Yale, and others along the way
Which of these (or others) should i definetly consider, and which 14ers should I hold off on until I get more experience

I've got a few different ways to help you answer this. But as you asked, what you should attempt first in order to gain experience for the harder mountains, of what you listed, I would have to suggest Uncompaghre/Wetterhorn and the traverse between Harvard and Columbia. Why? I get the impression that you are fairly physically fit, which is great, you need fitness. But what these recomendations offer that the others don't is technical challenge and exposure (of varying degree). I recommend these because when speaking of Columbia (alone) or Antero or Elbert, Massive etc. as standard routes go, there is no 'real' challenge. These mountains only demand a fairly developed degree of endurance or stamina. They're nothing more than long walks. Honestly, anyone can do these if mentally up for it.
The question, is how do you think you will conduct yourself or how comfortable do you think you'll feel on an exposed ridge or maneuvering around a class-4 move or scrambling solid class-3 rock? This should be the real test and your focus. Most of the 14ers are nothing more then moderately easy walk-ups. It's the ones that require hand placement and route finding that might give you cause for pause. It's for this reason, that I would recommend Uncompaghre or Wetterhorn to start (of what you have listed). The "rabbit" that lies in between the Harvard-Columbia traverse (the crux) would also make a good piece of 'test material'. And ofcourse, since you're up there in Loveland, Long's wouldn't be a bad idea either. It was my first, I had no problems (that I can remember) and have since returned to summit it 5 times.

So I suppose IMHO, start looking for something of class-3 to start. It doesn't take experience to walk up a class-2 slope, only good fitness. It does take experience to climb a class-3,4,5 pitch.
You might want to take a look at some of the 13ers and 12ers up in Wild Basin, RMNP. Most of what is up there would suit these parameters perfectly and it's close! Minimal driving.
Hope all this helps ya! 8)

Postby CO Native » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:27 am

If you intend to do that many I just recommend that you start on a class 2, then do a 2+ (basically Lindsey or Sneffels), then a class 3, then class 4. That way by the time you get to trying a class 4 you've got a fair amount of experience under your belt. I personally believe building the confidence and general mountaineering knowledge is all you really need to develop before doing the more difficult mountains. Class 4 mountains aren't really that difficult, but they do have a much smaller margin for error than the easier mountains.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby shanahan96 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:07 pm

learn as much as possible about the mountains and start where you feel comfortable, for whatever those reasons might be. we all have different ones.

my first five fourteeners were, in order, columbia, longs, elbert, crestone needle and princeton. why? they all served needs at the time.

columbia, because of location(broken down vehicle in buena vista). simpler fourteeners like elbert(highest) and princeton(dominating figure....had the itch) were chosen for their size. longs and crestone needle were chosen so i wasn't stuck in the rut of climbing all the class one and two peaks first. there has to be some fun along the way and i wanted to know where my climbing skills and tolerance of exposure would allow me to go. along the way, i've raised the bar as seen fit.

outside of the elks, little bear and some other scattered peaks, most areas are safe enough for starters. get used to the altitude and sometimes long, possibly grueling grunts and make adjustments as you progress.

jamie

Postby rlw49 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:26 pm

Skasgaard
Sorry to change the subject, but did you change your major to creative writing? You may have missed your calling.

All excellent suggestions. Join in with any posted trips on this site.

Postby stevevets689 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:43 pm

I'm a high school senior as well, and although I highly doubt I'll be able to do all the 14ers before I graduate from college I definitely plan on it. I've already summited Challenger, and that was a worthy one for sure, though it's a little out of the way for you. If you wanted to go camping, though, it wouldn't be that bad to do say... Kit Carson and then continue to Durango when you're done. Let me know if you're ever down here in southern CO (San Luis Valley area), I'd tackle one with you. Where are you going to college?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.