Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Backpack AND 14er Recommendation?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Aubrey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Based on your time and what you're asking, you probably have multiple options ... but I immediately thought of Holy Cross. Last summer I climbed it in a day ... but I think it would make an enjoyable 3-day excursion. The area is beautiful and not overly crowded. Plenty of campsites, too.

If you're interested, here's my trip report:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain

A lot of people camp near the creek, but we passed some tents much higher up on the mountain -- some were just below treeline. If it were me, I wouldn't want to huff all that gear up there, though. And it would be nice to be near a water source.

At any rate, Mt. of the Holy Cross might be just what you're looking for. Arrive at DIA Thursday (in the am, hopefully) and pick up a rental car. Spend some hours driving to the trailhead. Hike over the first hump and down to the creek and make camp before the sun goes down. Friday: start early, summit and get back down to camp by lunchtime. Hang out and enjoy nature. Saturday morning hike back to the car. Drive back to a hotel in Denver and drink some beer. Sunday morning drive to DIA.

Postby hikerguy0 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks for the tip about classes of terrain. Big issue to say the least. I see http://www.14ers.com/classes.html on this site and it's not far off from my understanding, although I would have said rope mandatory on a class four. I posted another topic on the forum, so maybe "in many counselors, wisdom." Thanks again.

Postby hikerguy0 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:01 am

Thanks for the pointer to the trip report. That sounds about like what I'm looking for. I WILL check it out.

Postby strat1080 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:44 am

I did Holy Cross back in 2005. We hiked up to the high-point before the drop down to the creek. We set-up camp here and did Holy Cross the next day from there. Its definitely a pretty long hike with some nice elevation gain overall due to the up and down nature of the trail.

The Belford, Oxford, Missouri combination is also a nice trip. I hiked up to Missouri gulch and setup camp here. It is a really beautiful area. I did all three mountains on the same day and it was quite a challenge. I think that Roach says that doing the 3 is something like 6,500 ft of elevation gain. It was definitely pretty tough. If you do Missouri from the other 2 the trail(if you could call it that) is pretty loose and miserable. The standard route up Missouri might be better but it takes you a long ways away from Belford and Oxford. Those 2 mountains were really quite easy, which is why I felt the need to continue on to Missouri.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Previous