Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

suunto

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

suunto

Postby jhaas » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:04 pm

A while back there was a thread on Suunto altimeters, it became heated, TodayI went to REI in Dallas with my rebate and coupon to buy one. They are no longer available, alternatives?( according to the staff the high(50%) returrn was the reason),

Postby Van McDaniel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:55 pm

I had a Suunto "wrist computer" a while back and I was one of those that took it back to REI. It was just to complecated for me to use to get some basic information. It had all of the features on it too but I only need the basics. If it is just an altimiter that you want there are some good ones out there. I bought a Garmin GPS60 a while back that serves as a GPS, compass, altimiter and a few more functions but it is pretty basic and it is very accurate and simple to use. The altitude readings are from satellite and not barometric. It will eat up batteries. Several years ago I bought a very basic dial type altimiter from REI for about 25 bucks that I still use. Its' readings are all barometric so over the course of a day I have to continually reset the dial at known elevations but I do not find it to be a big deal. It will predict a change in the weather....I set up camp at say 11,000' known elevation with clear skies and by morning I have gained 200'- 300' in elevation and I have not moved.....Storm coming in because of a drop in barometric pressure.....The rain on the tent verifies it also. I have also used my Garmin GPS60 and my dial altimiter at the same time and as long as I reset the dial(if need be)they are within 20'+- all day long at unknown elevation points...when I arrive at a known elevation I compare and they are close. I am just one of those people that would prefer not to have a bunch of damn buttons and functions to deal with. I am old fashion sometimes. I can do just fine with map, compass and a dial type altimiter but I have a lot of fun with my Garvin. I have known other people that had reliability issues with some of the Suuntos. I have known some people that swear by them. I swear at them. I hope this helps.
Eat Dessert First!

Postby Bullwinkle » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:31 pm

I just purchased a Brunton Nomad V2 for $100 at REI, less the Spring discount coupon. I'm still putting it through its paces, but am very happy with it so far. It includes:
* Digital altimeter at 1-foot resolution (with memory)
* Barometer
* Digital compass
* Bearing indicator
* Digital thermometer
* Bubble level
* Backlight time with two alarms
* Stopwatch

This is 3.7 oz and is a pendant type. Definitely worth a look.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Suunto Observer

Postby Kritios Boy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:10 pm

I've got a Suunto Observer that I bought in spite of the many dire tales of woe. I really, really like it so far. The advantage of Suuntos is that they give you the features in a decent sized wristwatch. The Observer looks great in all situations. The barometer and altimeter are pretty accurate. I leave it in barometer mode and it's pretty amazing-I'll notice that the pressure's dropping and sure enough I'll walk outside and it's cloudy all of a sudden. I've also used it for mountaineering and it worked well. I think that if you simply want an altimeter/compass for mountaineering there are better and cheaper alternatives. For a cool-looking watch that combines all these features very well, there just aren't any choices outside Suunto. Look on amazon-I got an Observer for $225.
"I would rather be in the mountains thinking about God than in church thinking about the mountains."

Postby skwid » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:01 am

I got a garmin eTrex for christmas... it is pretty dank for finding elevation... and your way back to the car...