Acclimation hikes.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dustyroad21
Trip Reports (0)

Acclimation hikes.

Post by dustyroad21 »

I will be traveling to Colorado next week and I plan on attempting my first 14er. You guys helped me before and I think I've decided on huron. In preparation for I was looking for somewhere to help me get acclimated to the elevation. The Indian peaks wilderness area looks like a place I want to do some hiking at so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good acclimation hikes there?
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Acclimation hikes.

Post by pbakwin »

RMNP: Estes Cone, Twin Sisters, Mt Lady Washington
IPW: Audubon
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

The Winfield trailhead to Huron is an absolutely gorgeous valley !

Spending a night or two up there will help with acclimation
and the hiking is spectacular.

Hike up to the base of The Three Sisters for phenomenal views -
Challenge yourself with a hike up Sheep Gulch to Hope Pass -
Check out the approach to La Plata

And don't forget to dip in the creek - That alone will tighten your scrotum
and prepare you for Huron !

Enjoy

Edit Correction: I meant Three Apostles not Three Sisters
Last edited by Monte Meals on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
forwardbias
14ers: 5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by forwardbias »

There are tons of options and depends on what you want out of an acclimation hike. You didn't give much for parameters so just throwing out ideas here, maybe check out the trails about by the end of 4th of July road, Moffat Tunnel, Saint Mary's Glacier, or Loveland Pass. If you are wanting something a little lower in altitude check out Golden Gate Canyon or Boulder peaks.