Best month to climb

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alaskahsm
Trip Reports (0)

Best month to climb

Post by Alaskahsm »

Brand new here. The highest peak I have climbed is Lily Mt. I plan on doing lots of training and getting ready to do this instead of jumping right in. However my goal is this summer to climb Bierdstat, Evans, a grays/Torrey combo and maybe Lincoln/bross/democrat/cameron combo. Think this is to ambitious :-D ? My question and I know this is weather dependent, but on average what would be a good month for these?
Marie Evergreen
http://marieevergreen.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its never too late to learn to fly.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best month to climb

Post by SikYou »

August, September, and October.
I'm slower than Scott P.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

February.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

July, August, and in some places September. There can be snow and ice in June and September.
Unfortunately those are the most crowded for tourism.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

That doesn't look like an overly ambitious plan. Assuming you live in the front range area, you're looking at four day trips without an overnight camp on the trail (unless you just really wanted to do it that way). It seems like a solid first summer plan. If all goes well, you might even consider something like Huron, Handies, or Humboldt to cap off your first year.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Think this is to ambitious :-D ?
Only if you are morbidly obese, under four years old, or older than 80.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lkk8815
14ers: 54  26 
13ers: 238 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lkk8815 »

SkaredShtles wrote:February.
+1
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Most of my most enjoyable climbs have been in September. More benign weather and lighter crowds, especially on weekdays.

Dave
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

All 12
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
Alaskahsm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alaskahsm »

Thanks! July and August is when my daughter is off so that we can go during the week. Guess I'll have to battle the crowds. I don't think I will be doing winter climbs, maybe not ever. (Of course I say that now)
Marie Evergreen
http://marieevergreen.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its never too late to learn to fly.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Alaskahsm wrote:Guess I'll have to battle the crowds.
"Crowds" is a relative term. I can only think of one out of 50ish 14er outings that felt crowded to me (Bierstadt on a mid-July Saturday). Christmas at Disney World is crowded.

Just starting out, having other people on the mountain isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you want to minimize the crowds on front range 14ers, go on a weekday and/or start at 4am. I would bet there would be no more than 5-10 people on the summit with you.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Alaskahsm wrote:July and August is when my daughter is off so that we can go during the week. Guess I'll have to battle the crowds.
I was going to mention that, in my experience, the crowds on the Front Range 14ers lighten up considerably when the kids start back to school around the end of August. But since it sounds like you've got a school aged one to take along so I'd encourage you to go for a nice early start if you want to cut down on the number of other hikers that you'll encounter. I go up Bierstadt a few times each summer on Sunday mornings which tend to be very high traffic days up there. If I start on the trail by 6:15 or so then I usually don't have all that much company on the way up or on the summit. Starting earlier than that with a headlamp can be really rewarding too since you often get some really exceptional morning light on the surrounding peaks and valleys. Just have to decide when to set the alarm, ya know?
Where ever you are... There you are.