A first timer's report of bagging Elbert

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ginmqi
Trip Reports (0)

A first timer's report of bagging Elbert

Post by ginmqi »

A report of an averagely fit person's attempt and summit of Mt Elbert as my first 14er.

Myself is of average fit I would say. I could've done more exercise but my diet is not too bad. But certainly not a regular exerciser. And have enjoyed nature (been to smoky mountains, yellowstone) but never done a hike as high as a 14er.

Arrived from an elevation of 1000ft city (where I usually spend my days) on a flight into Denver the night before. Woke up at 340am and on the road towards the trailhead at 4am. Standard northeast ridge route.

Arrived at trailhead around 645am and finally got started at 7am from the trailhead (the parking lot was quite busy already at this time and by 7am there were basically no spots left).

The hike up to the treeline felt fine. And the view of the mountain coming above treeline was quite awe-inspiring.

Now the hard part begins. The hike is classified as class1/2 and while I certainly knew about the length and the elevation gain (highest Mt in CO) I had underestimated the challenge and overestimated my elevation hiking ability.

Certainly I had to stop several times due to fatigue and soreness as well as several large episodes of calf cramps that I fought through (with water, and 4 bananas).

Surprisingly, AMS symptoms were only of a mild headache. And aside from fatigue and sore legs the progress up above the tree line certainly became quite a bit slower. Especially at the last of the steeper sections near the 13000ft elevation. And I can definitely say the last 1000ft or so of elevation was incredibly taxing. It was certainly tempting to take some of the social trails near the upper sections where it crosses an easier to traverse tundra/grass but certainly didn't look like it would be good for the ecology of the mountain.

And after some thoughts of turning around and pushing myself, I finally was able to summit at about 130pm. (1-way summit time 6.5 hours) Way down was quite a bit faster with a few benign falls going down the steep rocky slopes. About 3 hours to de-summit down to the trailhead.

Some observations:

I was VERY lucky with the weather. once above treeline my eye was kept on the sky constantly and aside from a few peaceful looking few white clouds it was quite clear and blue basically all day.

From the book "Best Summit Hikes in Colorado" I certainly was late for a recommended summiting time at the latest of about 1130am....by 2 hours.

My body/fitness level was not prepared for a safe hike up Elbert and my success was in large part thanks to mother nature and the lack of any storms/lightning that day.

I should've ate lot more bananas and drank lot more water day/morning of. Also 1 night acclimization is not enough. If flying/driving into Denver, should defnitely have 1 full night rest before actual day of hike. Also drink lots and lots of water...(my cramps were also signs of me being dehydrated). Having trekking poles definitely helped alot.

So for the first timers...Elbert is certianly doable but only if weather is cooperative and you have friends to help you shake out cramps and you start early. I would certainly NOT underestimate a "class 1" hike and get PLENTY of rest night before and start very very early and have lots of water on the way.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: A first timer's report of bagging Elbert

Post by Rollie Free »

But...
you now have conquered it.

Congrats fourteener.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

Should have eaten a lot more than four bananas? Lol. Congrats on gettin up there first try. I felt like crap after my first trip to 14k.
Wundermarmot
14ers: 5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wundermarmot »

Congrats on your first 14er! I have to take a lot of rest breaks on any of my climbs but if that gets me to the top, then that's what it takes! :)
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

ginmqi wrote: Some observations:

I was VERY lucky with the weather. once above treeline my eye was kept on the sky constantly and aside from a few peaceful looking few white clouds it was quite clear and blue basically all day.

From the book "Best Summit Hikes in Colorado" I certainly was late for a recommended summiting time at the latest of about 1130am....by 2 hours.

My body/fitness level was not prepared for a safe hike up Elbert and my success was in large part thanks to mother nature and the lack of any storms/lightning that day.

I should've ate lot more bananas and drank lot more water day/morning of. Also 1 night acclimization is not enough. If flying/driving into Denver, should defnitely have 1 full night rest before actual day of hike. Also drink lots and lots of water...(my cramps were also signs of me being dehydrated). Having trekking poles definitely helped alot.

So for the first timers...Elbert is certianly doable but only if weather is cooperative and you have friends to help you shake out cramps and you start early. I would certainly NOT underestimate a "class 1" hike and get PLENTY of rest night before and start very very early and have lots of water on the way.
Congrats on your first 14er summit!

I don't know how old you are. Three summers ago at age of 73, I summited my first 14er mountain; that's Mt. Elbert. It took me 7 hours to reach the top which is not bad for anybody my age at that time. The book "Best Summit Hikes in Colorado" says 5 hours which does not apply to everybody, just anybody with an average hiking speed. So don't feel bad about your time duration.

Regarding diet prior to a 14,000 ft summit, you need a balanced diet of both carbs and proteins. Of course, you need to drink a lot of fluids before you start a hike and during the hike. You said that you experienced some cramps. Therefore, you need a Gatorade or water with electrolytes to prevent cramps. Why did you eat too many bananas? I usually eat one banana and one apple and drink two liters of water plus two energy drinks during a summit hike. I don't eat much.

The weather is very important for a first 14er hiker. I think that you were more wise than lucky to start a hike in a very good weather. Many strong hikers can make a round trip in 3 to 5 hours so they are able to make it back to a trailhead by noon if they start it at 6 or 7 am. I can't do that so I need an almost-perfect weather that lasts all day to make my summit hike a success.

From reading what you experienced during the recent hike, I suggest that your next summit goal should be some mountain like Torreys Peak, Grays Peak or Mt. Sherman. Don't try Mt. Massive anytime soon! I have bagged eleven 14ers to date.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Congratulations both for a great accomplishment and thinking about the ingredients of success and those that, on a typical summer day, would have prevented reaching the summit. Noon summit time is a guideline and doesn't mean the weather is always good until that time so watch the weather carefully before going after your second.

As Rollie Free said, you conquered it and should feel great about that. Good luck and be safe for the next one.
Aim high to end high
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Congratulations!

It took me several attempts before I completed my first 14er summit.
(Side note, tagging the peak is not that important to me. Just being out
hiking in the mountains is enough reward.)

Regarding calf cramps ... Maybe you need to strengthen those muscles.

Whenever I am in the gym (2-3 times a week) I jump on the stair-master -
but not in the usual way. My heels never touch the treads - I intentionally
place the ball of my foot right on the edge of the step and immediately
flex my ankle DOWN. To hit the next step, I flex my ankle UP using my
calf muscle and not my quads.

For me, this is pretty close to how I hike up steep class 1/2 trails.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Monte
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Congrats on a 14er and a state highpoint! The former list of peaks is quite a blast, and the latter is an amazing sojourn. Check out highpointers.org if you aren't already familiar with the organization. Also there is a great guide book by Don Holmes that is perfect for every peak except the tough 5 (Hood, Gannett, Rainier, Granite, and Denali).
mrvwbug
14ers: 23 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mrvwbug »

Congrats.

I did my first last year (Bierstadt) and have summited 4 to date including Mt. Evans today :mrgreen:

Elbert is on my to do list for next year along with a few others.

This September has been great hiking wise, one of the warmest and driest we've had in years.

Also the "be down by noon" recommendation mostly applies during July and August during the peak monsoon season when thunderstorms are a daily occurrence. September if anything is probably one of the best months to hike in the rockies, less storms, less crowds, fall foliage, and rut season so prime time for wildlife viewing, the only real thing you lose is the wildflowers which peak in late-July/early-August.
Squatch
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squatch »

Congrats! I attempted my first this summer and failed. The weather and my conditioning just didn't cooperate. Hopefully I can cross My Elbert off my list next summer.