Avalanches late November early December

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Avalanches late November early December

Post by DoctorBreaks »

cheeseburglar wrote:My opinion is that time of year sucks for skiing because any slope that has accumulated enough snow has avy danger.
But it is a fun time of year to wander up Sawatch ridges, especially if you want to test out your ability to hike in windy conditions.
I just want to see all the mountains covered in snow. I remember when I first got here I wanted to climb Long's in winter. I live in Fort Collins and it was the first mountain I'd ever seen snow covered and I didn't know anything about climbing mountains. Just knew I wanted to be at the top lol.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

Check out Friends of berthoud pass (berthoudpass.org). Those guys put on avy awareness classes (free). Boulder is as far north as they go, but it would be a good place to start with basic avy information. And if you're looking for more detailed information, those classes are great prep before you take a level 1.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

REI typically has multi-level Avy lectures and field courses every winter month.
The frequency introductory lecture covers basic principles.
At this time there is just a 11/22 field transceiver class. But the others will probably be posted soon.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Thank you both! I'll definitely check out Friends of BP and check REI later in the year and see if they have anything.
:)
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Others have already given lots of useful info; I'll just add that, as a general rule, early season snowpack is often unstable, poorly bonded, and therefore quite avalanche-prone. On the other hand, it's usually still shallow, so you typically won't see the big, destructive avalanches of late winter/early spring. The shallower snowpack also means that the risk of injury or death tends to be more from terrain traps and being swept over cliffs, than from burials. Of course these are just general trends; specifics will always vary season to season.