ft per hour

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ft per hour

Post by ezabielski »

dr_j wrote: But do you really need to go at such a pace, if you're not trying to outrun bad weather?
Yes, it's rather fun. That's all there is to it.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

dr_j wrote:But do you really need to go at such a pace, if you're not trying to outrun bad weather?
No. Now, I get why some feel the competition (against others' abilities or their own personal limitations) to rush up a mountain. Or cycle as fast as they can. Whatever. Really, though the physical abilities of some to do this is most impressive, what impresses me most is savoring every moment in the mountains: the smells, sights, little details along the path. Things that are difficult to notice when blazing up a trail. Maybe it's just an excuse for my lumbering pace, but you know what? I think it a better way.
"It takes days of practice to learn the art of sauntering. Commonly we stride through the out-of-doors too swiftly to see more than the most obvious and prominent things.
For observing nature, the best pace is a snail’s pace."
- Edwin Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Voshkm wrote:People who are fast spend less time on the mountain, which enables them to go lighter and thus even faster. They use their speed as a safety net. People who are slower (like me) have to carry a lot more crap to be safe, and this slows us down even more. So when someone says they climb 3k/hr I automatically assume that is trail running, light and fast style, and probably not for more than a few hours. If someone can climb that fast carrying a full load of gear, on anything but class 1/easy class 2, I would be impressed.

I am impressed regardless
There is a limit to that. I've seen many trail runners wearing shorts and t shirt, and with only a water bottle, sure that works IF everything goes perfect. But one tumble and a broken leg when you don't have cell phone service, could mean death by hypothermia later that night if nobody comes upon you.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Trotter wrote:
Voshkm wrote:People who are fast spend less time on the mountain, which enables them to go lighter and thus even faster. They use their speed as a safety net. People who are slower (like me) have to carry a lot more crap to be safe, and this slows us down even more. So when someone says they climb 3k/hr I automatically assume that is trail running, light and fast style, and probably not for more than a few hours. If someone can climb that fast carrying a full load of gear, on anything but class 1/easy class 2, I would be impressed.

I am impressed regardless
There is a limit to that. I've seen many trail runners wearing shorts and t shirt, and with only a water bottle, sure that works IF everything goes perfect. But one tumble and a broken leg when you don't have cell phone service, could mean death by hypothermia later that night if nobody comes upon you.
I don't know why people are always on trial (on the internet) for what they carry or don't carry. It's just an acceptable level of risk thing. For some people, class 3 and above is too risky. For some people, climbing ANY mountain is an unacceptable level of risk. And then people are doing 100+ 13ers/14ers per year that are in their back yard. At all ends of the spectrum, people carry what they want and what they think they need.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

painless4u2 wrote:what impresses me most is savoring every moment in the mountains: the smells, sights, little details along the path. Things that are difficult to notice when blazing up a trail.
Oh, there are certainly plenty of overly-competitive folks perhaps not engaged in their surroundings...
and there are college t-shirts and iPhones (R) sauntering up hills as well.
painless4u2 wrote:what impresses me most is savoring every moment in the mountains: the smells, sights, little details along the path. Things that are difficult to notice when blazing up a trail. ....I think it a better way.
And I've certainly heard the righteous "Tsssk" of the ambler. [-(
A "better" way??? Why the competition? I've amused myself with the mental image of a sedentary, meditating monk (for example) judging people for moving *at all*

Moving quickly at your one's limits can be an absolutely beautiful way to engage in natural surroundings: to be dialed in and focused on rock and root, imprinted on your feet, at speed; catching glimpses of scurrying (or disinterested) fauna that otherwise would have been missed; feeling temperature change on your skin compressed in time; intense bursts of wildflower scents. To feel more like an animal, instead of a separated visitor.
Assuredly, running on a trail does not mean one is not savoring it. Far from it! One person might pursue the same trail dozens of times and develop an intimate local, seasonal familiarity.

And if I didn't need convincing already, then watching my toddler is enough: whether he sits in the dirt and picks up rocks, or decides to run/stumble excitedly for short bursts down the trail -- I'm at a loss to decide which way is "savoring" it more! :-D
Last edited by madbuck on Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

IMHO, ascent rate necessarily needs to be contextualized by the specific trail and conditions to have any meaning;
or, for normalization, it should be something that lasted > 60 mins. (Admittedly, hard to maximize in most naturally-available conditions)

For the latter, it reminds me of people's blogs/race/run reports, when instantaneous pace is (insufferably) mentioned. People will say something like, "we were hammering in the 5's" (e.g.) which means someone looked at their GPS watch and saw 5:59, briefly, when going down a section of steep downhill, yet not running an actual single mile at the reported pace.

For the former to generalize more than just a specific trail, I guess you can imagine things like the Sawatch, being similar enough to group together where you could usefully use personal statistics as a rough comparison for other peaks.
Otherwise it's useful (and perhaps borrowed from) skiing...either skinning up something once, or doing multiple laps at a consistent pace and averaging, for whatever purpose (perhaps matching partners or other comparative purposes)
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

Madbuck is speaking my language. Running on the Barr trail, there is a spot just above the rock tunnel where the temperature drops suddenly. If I wasn't running and hit it gradually, I would never get the same feeling. The feeling of transition between foothills and mountains coming at you suddenly saying "wake up! You are running in the mountains." And I am that guy at 12K feet with shorts and a water bottle and nothing else. But I am out early, with great knowledge of the weather. And to the person worried about my safety about breaking a leg, never and I mean never have I not seen someone while trail running. It's a measured risk, like commuting to work everyday in the car.