10 Essentials Video, Watch this!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

10 Essentials Video, Watch this!

Post by globreal »

The summer climbing season is upon us. Are you new to climbing the Colorado 14ers? Do you know what to carry with you in the wilderness or backcountry?

The third installment of the Steve Gladbach Memorial Moments Video Series that has now been produced and is online. This one is on THE 10 ESSENTIALS and we've added a bit of humor to it!

Thanks once again to the Colorado Mountain Club for sponsoring these Steve Gladbach Memorial Moments videos!

If you prefer to watch it full-screen, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvIH-5B5 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And click on the icon in lower right corner that kinda looks like a picture frame.

Enjoy!

[youtubevideo]watch?v=tvIH-5B576w&feature=youtu.be[/youtubevideo]
Last edited by globreal on Wed May 28, 2014 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: New To Climbing? Watch this!

Post by TallGrass »

They put up one 10E list, then describe a different one. Water is often cited as a weakness of the first, but there's no overview list of the latter, much less a comparison of the two.

And both leave out #11: chocolate.
Oh, and #12: beer.
Yeah, beer and chocolate.
And this chair.
All I need is beer, chocolate, and this chair ...
And this remote.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Definitely needs beer.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

TallGrass wrote: there's no overview list of the latter,
Yes there is….look at 11:57.
TallGrass wrote: And both leave out #11: chocolate.
Oh, and #12: beer.
The 10 Essentials are items you take in to the backcountry. Beer is something for when you get out of the backcountry. :-D
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

SGMM Video 3-Watch this!

Post by globreal »

While the comments are few, the views have been over 300 in 2 1/2 days. That's encouraging.

If you are a climber and haven't watched the video, I encourage you to do so.
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: SGMM-Video 3, Watch this!

Post by 3rdGenNative »

I'm helping to take a bunch of high school kids to the San Juans in a couple of weeks. I'd like to show this to them. Loved the casting. I laughed, I cried. I had all the emotions. =D>
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Re: 10 Essentials Video, Watch this!

Post by globreal »

A climbing friend sent me a DeLorme message this past weekend: "Three young noobs in tennis shoes with no gear……"

So, these totally unprepared climbers were on a 14er were and were in over their heads. My friend emailed me after he got home saying: "Britt, these guys were THE target audience for that latest Gladbach video."

Therefore, I've decided to bump this thread back to the top. Please watch the video at the top of this thread or click here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvIH-5B576w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and please share this with your climbing friends….even copy and post the link on your Facebook pages. Education and preparation will be beneficial to all.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

globreal wrote:A climbing friend sent me a DeLorme message this past weekend: "Three young noobs in tennis shoes with no gear……"

So, these totally unprepared climbers were on a 14er were and were in over their heads. My friend emailed me after he got home saying: "Britt, these guys were THE target audience for that latest Gladbach video."

Therefore, I've decided to bump this thread back to the top. Please watch the video at the top of this thread, and share with your climbing friends. Education and preparation will be beneficial to all.
Sounds like some guys I ran into from Jersey a few weeks back. Tennis shoes, jeans, and hoodies. They were waist deep in the willows on Bierstadt (it's a good thing they did tried on a 45 degree day with sunshine).
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

globreal wrote: The 10 Essentials are items you take in to the backcountry. Beer is something for when you get out of the backcountry. :-D
We're just going to have to disagree.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

nsaladin wrote:
globreal wrote:A climbing friend sent me a DeLorme message this past weekend: "Three young noobs in tennis shoes with no gear……"

Therefore, I've decided to bump this thread back to the top. Please watch the video at the top of this thread, and share with your climbing friends. Education and preparation will be beneficial to all.
Sounds like some guys I ran into from Jersey a few weeks back. Tennis shoes, jeans, and hoodies. They were waist deep in the willows on Bierstadt (it's a good thing they did tried on a 45 degree day with sunshine).
Let's be fair, I'm sure someone has already summited Bierstadt naked.

smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

Great video Britt. I hope it gets out to lots of people!
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Steve would have liked this video probably the best. And, he would offer to take the bong hittin', suds sipping 14er dude out on a trip to mentor him. Nice work on the video....and it's cool that Matt & all at The Chalet gave up time and space at the store for the shoot!

Just curious, but how many times can one change a title of a thread? ;)