Three 14ers in three days? Fitness and recovery...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SeattleHc100er
Trip Reports (0)

Three 14ers in three days? Fitness and recovery...

Post by SeattleHc100er »

14ers!

In mid-July, I'm taking a serious look at trying to do solo climbs of Holy Cross, Elbert, and La Plata on three consecutive days. This will be my first go with the 14ers as I haven't stepped foot in Colorado for over 8 years. Given my fitness level by July ( +/- 8 summits of peaks in the Cascades with more prominence than these peaks, 25-30 miles of running per week at 7min. splits ), and assuming I acclimate well ( which I always have in the past above 12,000ft ), I feel it is possibly doable though not necessarily favorable or reasonable. I'm wondering if experienced 14ers have tried similar things, and whether I'm overestimating or underestimating the difficulty of the task. Also, if I'm underestimating the difficulty level of such, I would want to cut out either Elbert or La Plata to give myself a rest day. In which case, which mountain ( Elbert or La Plata ) is the more rewarding climb. If it helps give better advice to know, I always intentionally climb a class 2 or 3 route. I don't get much out of the path of least resistance :) I'm open to ALL advice when I'm new to a climbing region...
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Three 14ers in three days? Fitness and recovery...

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Holy Cross in 1 day will be a long, tiring day. Just throwing that out there.
Last edited by Somewhat of a Prick on Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

whether I'm overestimating or underestimating the difficulty of the task.
It all depends on what shape you are in. If you are in good shape and acclimatized, it should be doable (though a bit tiring). Another alternative would be do do Huron or Sherman on day 2 as a "semi-rest" day. Huron is more interesting than Sherman, at least in summer. Huron and Sherman aren't very far from the area you will be in. (A 4wd vehicle makes Huron fairly short, though it's a bit longer with a 2wd).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Holy Cross in 1 day will be a Long, tiring day. Just throwing that out there.
It's really not that bad. I've done it twice and wasn't too exhausted either time. The trail is easy and pretty gradual despite the distance/gain totals, and the dreaded re-ascent over Half Moon Pass went by much quicker than anticipated.

If you're in good shape and your body responds well to altitude, there's no reason you couldn't do La Plata, Elbert and Holy Cross in consecutive summer days.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
iquack08
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by iquack08 »

With that much running, you're definitely in shape for your plan. It would really depend on how well you acclimate.

If this is your first 14er and you're going solo, I would recommend doing the standard route for Elbert first. There would be more people on the trail in case you run into any problem.
Last edited by iquack08 on Tue May 06, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Holy Cross in 1 day will be a long, tiring day. Just throwing that out there.
Holy Cross via the standard North Ridge is not bad. I definitely wouldn't want to combine Halo Ridge with two more back-to-back 14ers, however. If you need to eliminate Elbert or La Plata, I'd vote for keeping La Plata. More scenic, less crowded.
SeattleHc100er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeattleHc100er »

mountainrev wrote:
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Holy Cross in 1 day will be a long, tiring day. Just throwing that out there.
Holy Cross via the standard North Ridge is not bad. I definitely wouldn't want to combine Halo Ridge with two more back-to-back 14ers, however. If you need to eliminate Elbert or La Plata, I'd vote for keeping La Plata. More scenic, less crowded.
Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that Holy Cross will be the last climb of the three that I do so I can make a judgement call on whether I want to climb it standard or take Halo Ridge based on how the other two climbs went. Most responses I've gotten seem to raise caution about doing Halo Ridge in these circumstances ( which is the route I really want to take ).
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Just giv'r a try. If you're too wiped after HC, you'll know it. I usually hike three days or more in a row in my annual trip out there and I'm sure I'm in worse shape than you and probably older. (Along with some sort of training), it just takes determination to get up and out of bed on time. You don't have to burn it up the trails, just keep 'er movin'. Once I finally get on the trail for a half hour those mornings I'm usually glad I did. Pack smart, start early and enjoy. Worst case sleep in and enjoy a good beer of your choice on the second day and hit LaPlata on your last day.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
IronSkiMountaineer
14ers: 21  3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by IronSkiMountaineer »

You can do it. Last year I did Elbert Friday, Castle and Conundrum on Saturday, then biked up Mt. Evans from Idaho Springs on Sunday. Though my legs were heavy on the ride, i just downshifted and kept pushing. Just start a little earlier and give yourself some more time and you'll be fine. The great thing about hiking is since there's little pounding like running, you can climb on super tired legs without actually doing real muscle damage, you'll just move a little slower.
nfire
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nfire »

la plata > elbert all day long
Komojin
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Komojin »

I agree w/"wished I lived in CO" -- I think you stand a good shot at the 3x3, weather permitting. I prefer loops to out-n-backs, so I highly recommend the Halo Ridge route on Holy Cross, & return via the N. ridge route. Long but wonderful.
James Scott
Trip Reports (39)

Post by James Scott »

My 2 cents:

I would do Holy Cross on day one, rather than wait until the last day. It will be unpleasant with spent legs. Whichever route you do, try to start early enough to be done early afternoon rather than early evening. You'll need some time for stretching, hydrating, sleeping, and eating. Get to the next day's TH and relax.

Elbert is a much easier day, even though the false summits can be frustrating. Get some extra sleep, understand that the first half mile will be brutal getting loose, and enjoy- it's a good path.

I would consider the Winfield TH for La Plata on day three- it's a much more gentle climb- some steep, challenging sections, but the RT and elevation will be far more agreeable for tired legs.

If you have time, it would be really wise to get down to the Cottonwood Hot Springs between day two and three to help your legs regain some life.

Enjoy!
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."