Couloir climbing questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Couloir climbing questions

Post by cheeseburglar »

The Angel of Shavano is not a couloir, but it is a great snow climb.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned rockfall hazards in couloirs.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

cheeseburglar wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned rockfall hazards in couloirs.
Yes, sir!

Climb couloirs and you'll become familiar with the whizzing sound a small rock makes when it flies by you on a steep pitch. And the big ones? Well, hopefully you hear and see them coming...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
CookieMonster
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 9 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CookieMonster »

Watch Vertical Limit a few times. It will answer all your questions... :)
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

The class was a lot of fun. The conditions were abysmal with 30 mph gusts and blowing snow. We worked on kicking steps, duck walking, front pointing and French technique with the rest step. Then he had me self arrest head first, both face down and face up, and then get first and face up, however all the new powder slowed down the speed a lot and I never felt like I was hauling ass. I repeated the self arrests in crampons as well. We then repeated all the footwork in crampons and worked on plunge steeping, and descending while facing in.

I walked on some snow at about 35 degrees and was surprised how unafraid I was. I can now see how those pictures look so crazy when in fact it's not that bad. Despite the wind and blowing snow it was one of the coolest days I've ever had in the mountains.

I would like to practice self arresting about 50 more times from different positions though to build muscle memory. The guide recommended St Mary's Glacier as a place to go.

I'm pretty pumped to head up a couloir after today. Has anyone got any idea on the conditions in the Juliet couloir in the Indian peaks wilderness area? Reading this snow climbs book it seems like a good beginner couloir and not very long.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
Dave_W
14ers: 39  4 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dave_W »

Sounds like a good class...PM me if you want to hook up for Little Italy in teh new coupld weeks. I think I will make it my first this season, but also have Horseshoes Boudoir Couloir in mind. I got up there last year under perfect conditions, but discovered I lost my gloves at the base of the couloir...so I had to turn back. Wasn't about to climb it with bare hands...made a dumb move earlier in the day and didn't properly stash my gloves, they fell out somwhere on the approach. Really was a bummer!
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Dave_W wrote:PM me if you want to hook up for Little Italy in teh new coupld weeks. I think I will make it my first this season, but also have Horseshoes Boudoir Couloir in mind.
PM sent. Thanks for the invite
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes