Which 14er should I do?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
argothor
14ers: 33 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Which 14er should I do?

Post by argothor »

If you decide to do Grays and Torreys, do yourself a favor and do it during the middle of the week. Same goes for Bierstad.

Unless you like hiking with a crowd.

And don't rule out doing a 13er or 12er. They are just as much fun to do, and have the bonus of not being as crowded. And there is a lot more of them to choose from. Byers Peak, just west of Winter Park, is a fun hike, with lots of solitude.
jpenny
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 38 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jpenny »

If you feel up for class 3, go do Longs in the middle of the week. Not near as worth it on the weekend. It is a long day but an hour drive from Boulder. Maybe consider camping out there too depending on your fitness level.

Quandary is only 2-2 1/2 hours from Boulder. You can always sleep at the trailhead or campground, wake up and go. Best class 1 14er in my opinion. Really good views and really fun.

Since it sounds like you have limited time, and don't live close, I would do one of these if you must do a 14er and not a 13er. Bierstadt and Evans are really cool if you do the class 3 Sawtooth, but the standard route is not near as good as the two listed above. Grays and Torreys by the standard route is fairly similar. Crowded and nothing comparably special. Much better to do Kelso Ridge to get those, but once again that is a class 3 (rather exposed) and I'm not sure of your skill level.

+1 for Indian Peaks. Just as beautiful and fun as any 14er and closer to Boulder than any of them.

Audubon (add Paiute for an easy bonus), S. Arapahoe (N. Arapahoe is a classic class 3 traverse), and Neva are excellent options. Less people, great views, and just plain fun with extremely easy access from Boulder. The Indian Peaks Wilderness is essentially just a southern extension of Rocky Mountain National Park and should not be missed.

So I know I recommended a bunch of class 3's, so if that's too high, I'd go for Quandary (1), Audubon (1) or S. Arapahoe (2) excluding the traverse.
rrudnic
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rrudnic »

Appreciate all the responses! Perhaps a little more detail of my time frame would be helpful, it doesn't appear my idea of a short time and most of yours are the same. I will basically have Monday until Thursday to do whatever I want. Was thinking drive somewhere Monday, camp, hike Tuesday, return to the city tuesday night or wednesday morning depending on time. I really just wanted to stick close to Boulder so I didn't have to burn a ton of gas or spend 1/2 a day on the road. My buddy who will be going as well is saying lets just go to Elbert so we can get the highest one. Good bit longer drive, but we can camp, theres a couple easier routes for him, and during the week shouldn't be to crowded.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I wouldn't worry too much about the drive - two hours or so to any of them, including Elbert. You could leave Boulder at 4 pm, eat dinner in Leadville, and still get a campsite before dark. Very good camping is available near the Halfmoon Creek TH, too, so that would be a good choice with your schedule. Good luck!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

If Elbert's not too far you, you might as well go ahead and give some thought to Huron...
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir