Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Oxygen tank recommendations?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Oxygen tank recommendations?

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:36 pm

snowboardinco wrote:No one uses or actually needs oxygen at 14k.

Actually, everyone does. :P
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby aweygandt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Along the lines of getting acclimatized...

After hiking at 9-12k as snowboardinco and others recommended, then it might be worth it to drive up Mt. Evans with a friend a week before your hike. Evans isn't far from Grays/Torreys. If you're feeling great, then read a book up there and see how you do for a couple hours. It will help you acclimatize for the upcoming hike. If you feel awful, then have the friend drive back down. That way you can experience 14,000' in a bit more controlled environment.

I hope that helps.

Postby mtree » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

See a doctor for expert advice. Someone who has experience in this field. Maybe high altitude hiking just isn't in the cards for you.

I agree with those who suggest to acclimate to higher elevations slowly or gradually. See how it goes. Drink lots of water. Having asthma can't help.

You can try some ibuprofen, but I think the results of that study is statistically insignificant.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby taylorzs » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Here you go: http://www.buyemp.com/category/breathing-respiratory-equipment . I recommend a CPAP or perhaps a non-rebreather! Nasal canuli just do not deliver strong enough flow for 14,000'. Be careful though O2 tanks are extremely dangerous both as fire hazards and as explosive projectiles! 8) :lol: BTW, there is no way that this not a joke guys.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby tlongpine » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Not sure this inquiry is sincere or not, but my response is: consult a medical professional.

I cannot believe how often this is the answer to questions here. Why would you ever trust a bunch of online strangers to diagnose and prescribe treatment instead of a trained physician?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby shearmodulus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Keep training and acclimating.

Everyone gets affected by altitude at some pointing their careers, and AMS, HAPE, HACE and even the dreaded HAFE can come on to even the most experienced and fit climbers at lower elevations. At 20,000 feet NO ONE feels normal. Even setting camp at 14,200 sucked, and I climb fourteeners year-round. The difference? Usually I get to the top of a 14er, tag the summit, take a short break and turn around.

Advice: climb high, sleep low, drink lots of water, and keep ibuprofen handy for mild headaches. Hydration is usually the primary cause of AMS.

Postby shearmodulus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Dancesatmoonrise is a doctor. I just play one on the interwebs.

Postby larkinrx2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:47 pm

dancingmanatee wrote:..... My boyfriend and I ....

since not loaded on the profile, going out on a limb with this sentence and assuming you are female. Or if not the following would still apply but females have obvious reasons for the following....

When discussing with your physician regarding your Asthma, maybe see if they can do a simple IRON test to determine if your stores are high enough that you are able to ramp up RBC production with physical and altitude training
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby semitrueskerm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:22 pm

And...as an added bonus...you get to look and sound like Darth Vadar....

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:31 pm

semitrueskerm wrote:

And...as an added bonus...you get to look and sound like Darth Vadar....

wasn't there some awesome college football team that used those for high altitude training? i think it worked out well for them too :wink:

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Guess I have my costume picked for any Halloween climbs
bane.jpg
bane.jpg (28.8 KiB) Viewed 250 times

Anyone want to be my nemesis?
batman.jpg
batman.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Kiefer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 pm

dancingmanatee wrote:Hi all,
Even back in HS I still needed my inhaler and could never get my breathing right despite being in fantastic shape.)
Thanks!

What kind of mistakes were you making? If you're devouring too much vegetation while attempting to breathe,
you might run into water inhalation problems.

PreviousNext