Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Questions about a day trip to Sunshine Peak

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Questions about a day trip to Sunshine Peak

Postby bohlsen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Welcome to the fun of trying to plan trips to 14ers from out of state, its tough to make firm plans in advance to drive long hours to climb them when the weather could end up being total s*** ](*,) I've made plans the last two summers for a 14er weekend and had to cancel them because the forecast was bad enough that it wasn't worth my time and gas $. Thankfully I at least have the option of fun non-14er mountains less than an hour away so its hard to complain :-D . In terms of 14ers that would be a bit closer, easier and accessible with a 2WD car, the most obvious ones would be Pikes, Evans/Bierstadt and anything in the Ten Mile/Mosquito. If you're looking for something more scenic and less crowded I'd personally recommend Humboldt. Its starts from the South Colony Lakes TH which is actually slightly closer for you than driving to anything on the Front Range, however the road is a bit dicier and I'm not sure how far up you could take your car, but I'm sure someone else who's been up there recently could give you a better idea of what to expect. Also, as has been said keep a close eye on the weather. Good luck!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Postby ThuChad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:14 pm

College! That's when the 14er bug bit me.

It's always great to see other Oklahomans here on the site. Like others have said, October isn't always bad. I've hiked 14ers in July, August, October and January and I liked October the best. The Sangres are about the quickest drive from OK but making it to the THs with low clearance might be tough. Willow Lake TH isn't too bad then lower South Colony Lakes TH would be next. Pikes, Grays/Torreys, Bierstadt/Evans are pretty close too, all 9-11 hours and have good access to the THs. Anything around Lake City will add several more hours round trip.

Where do you go to college?

Looks like bohlsen be me to a few things.
Last edited by ThuChad on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby Sdavis15 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm at OU! I think we have settled on Bierstadt for now. I'll let you guys know if we're going to attempt it and I'm sure you'll see a trip report if we summit. Thanks to all for the help with this, I appreciate it!
Spenser

Postby vorticity » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Plan is doable. But I have one concern. Starting a 14er at 9AM is a very bad plan unless you have a BlueBird day. It looks like we are out of the monsoon season, but if there is any threat of thunderstorms, you will want to be headed up no later than 6AM. For a trip that far, I'd recommend taking the route over Red Cloud. It adds some to the overall trip, but you get two for the price of one. Vort.

Previous