Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Noob..Kit/Challenger from the EAST??

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Noob..Kit/Challenger from the EAST??

Postby Ross_Browne » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 pm

I agree with jdorge's suggestion to go straight for Crestone Needle. I'm from the east so I'm never fully acclimated when I go hiking in Colorado. But I can usually make it up a 14er the first day out if I'm determined. It's just really time consuming. Yes It's possible to do a killer hike without acclimating but you have to factor in a few more hours. Crestone Needle is extremely challenging for an east-coaster, but it has a relatively short approach so it's possible in the time frame you're talking about.

Postby sunlightjunkie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:39 am

Humboldt Friday, The Needle Sat and KC on Sunday. Maybe KC Sat since that will be the longest route. That sounds doable for a flat-lander I think. We are not trying to break any records, just don't want to be sitting around doing nothing. I know there is something to be said for that when your in a majestic place like this but I just got back from the beach with my wife and almost went crazy with all the "relaxing".

Postby goingup » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:50 am

From what I gathered when I had a question about these mountains is that going from SCL to Kit Carson and Challenger requires a decent amount of route finding and some questionable moves when crossing over Columbia Point. We did KC and Challenger from Willow Lake and I was gung ho on going for the summit of Columbia Point but weather didn't allow for it. Columbia Point looked pretty serious and in all of the information I gathered and trip reports I read crossing over it and then going back was a challenge for even the most experienced climbers on this website.

There are many helpful trip reports on the hike/climb you intend on doing, here is one of my favorites:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9643&parmpeak=130&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

I would definitely do your homework before committing to a day like this.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where no one intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more......

Postby ThuChad » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:59 am

If you really want to do it this is the best TR. Coming down and back up Columbia Point is the route finding crux. I was going to do Columbia Point from KC but decided I didn't want to beat myself up that bad when I got to the base of it.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8717&parmpeak=Kit+Carson+Peak&start=60&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

This one cites two other helpful TRs.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby sunlightjunkie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:06 pm

thanks for the info. I will definitely be doing more home work. I tend to over do/think everything.

thuchad I may take you up on the happy hour. I would love to pick your brain before I head out.

Postby thevagabond » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:32 am

I spent all day on the crestones today, I highly recommend them. We were climbing class 3-5. I spotted a decent amount of snow/hail on the avenue to KC today. I recommend climbing the north ridge of KC when you do climb it, the standard route is barely class 3.

Previous