Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggest 14er for my family near Durango-Silver Train, Mesa V

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Suggest 14er for my family near Durango-Silver Train, Mesa V

Postby clydesdale » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:26 pm

We will be going to Mesa Verde and also riding the Durango Silverton. We won't be in Colorado for more than 3 days, so it can't be a very far drive. My family will have an 11, 9, and 8 year old. We would love to take an easy hike on a easier 14er. Can someone suggest something close to the two mentioned stops? Thanks.

Re: Suggest 14er for my family near Durango-Silver Train, Me

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:42 pm

You're hours away from the nearest easy 14er in that part of the state. There are plenty of places to hike around there, which I'm not too familiar with... Ice Lake Basin (near Silverton) sounds good, as there are waterfalls along the way that you could treat as destinations if you're not up to the whole hike (9+ miles, 2800 feet).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Ridge runner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Not 14ers, but...

Between Mesa Verde and Durango is the La Plata Canyon. Take that up to Kennebec Pass and hike along the Highline Trail to some nice 12ers above treeline. Centennial Peak (13,232') is a fairly easy peak to do with kids starting from the Sharkstooth TH.

Just outside of Durango is the Lime Mesa Trail out to Overlook Point (12,998'), which has some great views of Chicago Basin and the nearby 13ers.

Depending on how long you are in Silverton, Kendall Mountain (13,066') is a good one to hit while you're there.

If you only have half a day or so, in Durango there is Animas City Mountain (8161') and Pautskys Point (7699'). Both have great views from the top.

Postby Tortoise1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm

If you found yourself in Silverton with a good high clearance 4wd vehicle Handies from American Basin wouldn't be too far away. But you'd have to go over Cinnamon Pass. The road north out of Silverton is pretty good for a while but then turns bad. You'd have several miles, at least an hour of rugged road. There's another way to come into Handies from the west without going over Cinnamon Pass but it adds a few miles to the hike. There was a thread about this recently.

Postby clydesdale » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I may be flying into Denver or Colorado Springs. I am not sure I can get a flight into Durango. So, if I fly into one of the larger airports, that may change things. Is there anything that you would recommend that is on the way from there to the Durango area? I will likely be driving a rental mini-van, so rugged roads won't be a problem :wink: Just kidding, I won't be able to go off the beaten path.

Postby altidude » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Cascade Creek Falls is a very short hike, but quite the spot for a picnic. Just north of Purgatory, turn right after crossing the Cascade Creek bridge. There is plenty of parking. Hike down the road a 1/4 mile and head down to the creek, after another 1/4 mile or so you will find an awesome waterfall and pool.

The hike up to Engineer Mountain is beautiful, you can find the TH at the summit of Coal Bank pass. Engineer is a great climb also, but there is a short section of class 3 to gain the summit.

Lot's of hiking around Molas Pass, the Sultan Mountains are great.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe maƱana

Postby 2giqs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Consider flying into Grand Junction or possibly Albuquerque. I generally find the car rental costs to be cheaper at those airports as compared to Denver.

If you opted for Albuquerque, you'd be able to take in Chaco Canyon on your way to Mesa Verde.