Grays / Torreys for a first timer... (plus: camping?)

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Grays / Torreys for a first timer... (plus: camping?)

Post by Jim Davies »

With a little extra driving (<100 miles/day) you could do Huron and Bierstadt, which would give you some nice variety in ranges and scenery. Huron has lots of good car camping near Winfield. For Bierstadt you can camp along the road about two miles down from Guanella Pass either north or south.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

CincinnatiJeff wrote:If we want to do Grays (we're camping), what other peaks in the area would be recommended? We want to do three or four over a 4-day period.
Torreys can be done on the same day as Grays as it is an adjacent peak. Evans and Bierstadt are the next closest followed by Quandary and the Democrat group (4 14ers) if you head to Breckenridge.
vusteph
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by vusteph »

don't know if you've already left for this trip, but i came from houston and slept at 7k the first night in New Mexico for about 2 hours (we drove in) and 11k the second night for a full night's sleep. No problems with the altitude. We made sure we were very well hydrated (constantly sipped a little bit of water) and ate well.
ryanmicj
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ryanmicj »

Quandary is close, and was our second choice last year for a first peak. A bit further south than the Democrat group is Mt. Sherman, which is regarded as the easiest of 14ers.
aweygandt
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aweygandt »

Yes, Bierstadt and Evans are both great options right there in the area. The mountains a little further away are Quandary, Democrat (can be done along with Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross), and Mt. Sherman. Even though it's easy, I thought the views on Sherman were fantastic. Really, all of these are good 14ers to start on.
aweygandt
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aweygandt »

Also, camping seems pretty easy to find at Bierstadt and at Sherman - though I haven't tried it.
justinm76
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by justinm76 »

derekw wrote:So I'm taking my friend out to hike his first 14er. I figured Grays is a good starting peak...and then we'd have the option to hop over to Torreys if we feel up to it. We're both flat-landers, but, are in OK enough shape and will have a few days to adjust to elevation.

This will be on a Tuesday... so not too busy, I wouldn't think. (although I'm sure it won't be deserted)

We have a subaru outback that should be able to get to the upper trailhead from what I read.

My big question with this location is camping. I read that there are a few camping spots near trailhead... will these fill up quick? The other concern I have is sleeping at 11k . . . not sure we'll get along with that well or not.

Finally... how are the views on Grays compared to some of the other easier front range mountains? Still a chance we could head elsewhere.

Thanks
How did the trip go with the camping? We are planning on going this weekend and camp at the TH. Do they allow campfires?