What to wear for mid-August 14er?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Merc1980
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

What to wear for mid-August 14er?

Post by Merc1980 »

Hi all, because of my schedule I've been forced to delay my first 14er to mid August. I am planning on doing either grays/Torrey or Mt. Bierdstat with my wife. I know it's a little late in the summer season so I'm looking for some advice on what clothing to bring on this hike. Yes I've read the gear list but I know the mountains around that time can be anywhere from freezing to hot. So far I've put together a list of what I want to bring but being that I've never done an August hike above 12,000 ft so I don't want to be under prepared. This is what I plan on bringing, could you guys please advise if I should bring any more or less. (Note that this is just clothing).
Sunglasses/hat/beanie/gloves
Long sleeve mid weight powerdry thermal top
Mid weight Fleece jacket
Wind jacket
Waterproof rain jacket
Synthetic undies
Mid weight powerdry thermal bottoms
Synthetic sports pants
Wool sox
Trail running shoes

I have also considered a wind/rain pant and maybe a light synthetic insulation layer, but I think that I won't need them.
My wife will have a similar setup to mine. I generally run hot when actively hiking and my wife less so. So any advice on what I should add/remove would be appreciated. Thanks.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What to wear for mid-August 14er?

Post by scalba123 »

I'm usually in Colorado the last week in August and I've never needed thermal bottoms when attempting a 14er (and I generally start around 400am in the morning).
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

You can wear white all year round; Esquire magazine says so.

(I agree with all here.)
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I wear shorts and a synthetic t-shirt, wool socks and trail runners, and carry raingear, jacket, gloves, hat. If the weather forecast requires more than that in August, I do something else. Your list looks like an REI salesman's dream client purchase, I'm more like the guy they wish would stick to Walmart. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

You should plan on bringing what you need to stay out one night in case something happens, ie. get lost or injured. That goes for clothing, gear and food. Your clothing list looks good with the exception of wind jacket (your rain jacket is a suitable subtitute) and rain pants...bring them.
cory1223oh
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cory1223oh »

Here's my summer hiking clothing list:
Shorts
Synthetic Nike short sleeve T ($12 at TJ Maxx. Perfect hiking shirt in my opinion)
1/4 zip 100wt. fleece
Wind jacket
Lightweight raincoat
Hat
Gloves
Sunglasses
Wool Socks

I could probably do without the wind jacket, but I sweat too much in my hard shell when hiking to wear it for wind blocking purposes and it only weighs like 7 oz.

This is a list for something like Bierstadt, G&T, Quandary, etc. where you're almost guaranteed to see other people and you would have to try pretty hard to get lost. On peaks that had a higher risk level I would add a down jacket and some sort of long pants in case something went really wrong.
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I would throw in an extra pair of socks since this is your first 14er. You might find yourself halfway up or down the mountain wishing that you had something thicker or thinner to wear. I often put on a different pair for the downhill and you can use them for handwarmers if need be. Good luck. :)
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Way too much stuff for August.

Here's what I wear/bring:

Everyday underwear.
Light weight wick off short sleeve shirt. I carry a wick off long sleeve shirt I can wear over the short sleeve.
Loose fitting hiking pants.
Fleece jacket. If it's going to be unusually cold, I'll bring a down parka. Mine is a GoLite and weighs little.
Light weight rain gear.
Baseball cap.
Hiking boots and socks (I like Wigwam brand).
For Grays or Bierstadt, I'd take 2 liters of water each and some energy rich snacks like nuts, fruit, etc.
Camera.
Map and compass.

Dave
Merc1980
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Merc1980 »

Lol thanks guys. Yeah, I'd figure it might be overkill for that time. Although I've camped during late August before and it has been a lot colder than I expected. Didn't stop to think that you do generate a lot of heat and we're not camping there overnight.. I'm the same way with a hardshell. I overheat real fast so a wind jacket is a must.
Minstrel Max
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Minstrel Max »

My list for a quick hike on a busy "easier" 14ner is:

Clothes
Synthetic undies
Synthetic short sleeve shirt
Zip-off hiking pants
hiking sox that go with broken in footwear (boots or hiking shoes)
Light windstopper fleece
wool shirt
Rain jacket (with a light liner) which is also my wind layer
Rain pants
baseball hat and a winter hat/beenie
light gloves

Other Gear
First Aid Kit (at least some bandaids, mole skin and pain relievers for altitude headaches).
Food -couple of PB&J's, fruit, granola bars, and other good snacking food to keep me going
2-3 liters of water
Sunscreen
WHISTLE! - Always have a whistle when hiking!
Survival Kit (compass, map, fire starter, tinder [cotton balls with petroleum jelly in a film canister and newspaper],space blanket, pencil with 3 ft duct tape around it, paper, utility tool with knife and pliers)

I know it's a decent amount of stuff but I'd rather be over prepared to help myself or others if needed. I'll throw in at least one heavier layer if the weather looks cold or there are likely to be fewer people/harder mountain. I may leave a few things behind on a great forecast on a busy weekend mountain.

Stay safe! Have fun! Good Luck!
Max
The mountain will always be there tomorrow! Pick up some trash! Be safe! Have fun! Be a great climbing partner!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Parts of the hike may have wind chills in the 30s (early summit). Parts of the hike may have sun heat in the 90s.
There is a slight chance of a snow dusting in late August.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

I'm going backpacking for 5 days in maroon bells wilderness next month, My clothes list is

Synthetic T-shirt
Synthetic shorts
Lightweight Long underwear Top and bottoms
light hiker wool socks
Mont Bell Thermawrap UL synthetic jacket
Rain Pants/Jacket
Beanie
Visor
windproof/fleece gloves

You don't need much to be comfortable out there