Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tips for a new climber....

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby mtngoat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:44 am

Two things:

1. Remember to look behind you. Half the scenery is back there.
2. Don't climb alone. even though most 14ers are pretty well travelled, some routes may not be and if you suffer a fall slightly off trail...no one may notice you.

-Dave

Postby CorduroyCalves » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:04 pm

CO Native wrote:Take all advice from this website with a grain of salt.

C'mon, is that the best you can do? :?

I would recommend that you drink a lot of water before your hike. I'll typically drink a couple quarts the night before, then a quart on the drive to the trailhead. But then again, that's just one person's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. . . :wink:

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:12 pm

Mtngoat said, "look behind you, half the scenery is there."

Another reason it pays big dividends to look behind you about every five minutes is that the trail back looks a lot different than the trail going. You will be very suprised how easy it is to get off route on the return trip on the most visible routes. (There are not always paths to follow.) I am well known for being disoriented on the return track!!!! So, it helps.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby skier25 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:51 pm

For a beginner, my best advice is thus:

CLIMB WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE.

It's vital to know what to do, and how to do it on the mountain, because there aren't any forums (like this one) at 14,000 feet if you need advice. Also, be off the mountain by no later than 12:00.

But advice for someone with experience, just read my signature.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Ortega2 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:07 pm

Thanks for the great starting tips guys I'll be sure to share these with friends:)
"Outside the dream world,life can be harsh even cruel,but it is life-Auron,Final Fantasy X

Postby F Bomb » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:20 am

Also, be off the mountain by no later than 12:00.

That is solid advice, I'm not a big fan of some of the books out there telling you to be off the summit by noon. I think that is way to late in a lot of cases. Get up early, it's better for a lot of reasons.

Postby jfox » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 am

scheelt wrote:Don't be afraid to turn around without reaching the summit if everything isn't going your way (weather, conditioning, etc.). The summit will be there tomorrow, make sure you are to.

Excactly!! Disappointing yes, but mountaineering is very unforgiving of mistakes and ego's. I've been weathered off 4 peaks this year! :x But, they're still there for next time...and so am I!

Postby jfox » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:52 am

skier25 wrote:For a beginner, my best advice is thus:

CLIMB WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE.

Good point! You can post in the "Climbing Connections" forum on this site if you don't know anyone with experience. There are always experienced locals here that are up for a climb or two....all you have to do is ask! :)

Postby lstomsl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of some of the books out there telling you to be off the summit by noon. I think that is way to late in a lot of cases

Very good point. This always semed a bit ridiculous to me. There is absolutely nothing magical about noon. Start as early possible, make sure you save some energy for the return trip, turn back in the face of any thunderstorm activity, but if it's a bright sunny day you might even be able to stretch your summit time until 12:30 or even 1:00....
It's all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap - Eric Cartman

Postby deagle02 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:06 pm

IMHO... and DEFINATELY a matter of opinion!

Leave the technology behind. If you want to take a phone, keep it on vibrate and use it for emergency (if it works) or talking to someone above 14000 ft... totally cool (at least the first couple of times). Leave the headphones unless your really need it for getting in a hiking groove. The sounds of nature are awesome if you have hiked alot you should know this, but as you climb and push yourself there is a new "air" up higher when you are above timber. Just my thoughts.

And hydrate before going as well as during.
"Wish? Did somebody say wish?"

"Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!"
"Mekka-lekka hi mekka chiney ho!"
"Mola-mekka chana mekka hoola molla hey!

-Jambi- Pee Wee's Playhouse

Postby Ortega2 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:17 pm

Oh,lol you need not worry, when we hike we hike with no technology except for cell phone and not even that sometimes:)
"Outside the dream world,life can be harsh even cruel,but it is life-Auron,Final Fantasy X

Postby scheelt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:51 am

One more: get used to an "alpine start." This often means being on the trail at O dark 30 using a headlamp. Start times will vary depending on route and conditions but it will help you be off the mountian before the afternoon lightning storms.

PreviousNext