Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tips for a new climber....

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Tips for a new climber....

Postby Ortega2 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:13 pm

Hello, I am a relativley new climber with dreams....My friends and I are hoping to summit some 14ers by next summer and we are looking for some tips.Any takers??
Last edited by Ortega2 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside the dream world,life can be harsh even cruel,but it is life-Auron,Final Fantasy X

Postby Layne Bracy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 pm

Start your hike 30 minutes before sunrise to avoid afternoon lightning storms.

Bring at least 3 liters of fluids per person.

Postby Flatland Biker » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:00 pm

Get down to your ideal weight and get into shape before summer so you can enjoy your trek. Hang out on this site for valuable info...
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:18 pm

Don't forget to have fun.

Postby Neil » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:44 pm

Ortega...glad your psyched and planning ahead!

Great points thus far. Being in shape at an ideal weight is critical, but having fun is mandatory.

That being said, if you've never climbed above 14,000 work your way there - you have plenty of time. Start with some trips above 11,000 and 12,000. There are many of AMAZING but safe trips that can be done during the winter in this altitude range that will allow you to develop your climbing skills, comfort in the wilderness, a sense of your own abilities, and your body's reaction to alititude. Then, by summer, you can move with confidence to 13ers and 14ers. This plan will allow you to observe and react to your body's reaction to climbing at higher elevations, which I think is very important. For example, I tend to get out of shape quickly (thank you beer and late nights), but my girlfriend is always in PEAK shape. Yet, I was born in CO and started on 14ers when I was 8. She grew up near sea level and only started climbing last year. She struggles sometimes, while I can climb very quickly; yet she can kick the hell out of me in ANY OTHER OUTDOOR SPORT!!! The point is, altitude plays a significant role in this sport. Work up to 14000, noting your reaction to altitude and plan and react accordingly.

That is my LONG two cents. :D
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby scheelt » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:48 am

Don't be afraid to turn around without reaching the summit if everything isn't going your way (weather, conditioning, etc.). The summit will be there tomorrow, make sure you are to.

Postby CO Native » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:43 am

Take all advice from this website with a grain of salt.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby ccunnin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:18 am

Spare the salt. I haven't been at my ideal weight since high school and I was able to get 12 summits in this past summer without any trouble at all. Just go for it, be smart, stay on trail and drink water.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Postby gdthomas » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:51 am

In addition to the previous recommendations, proper equipment and food (in addition to water/sport drinks) are important. See the "Gear List" section on the "Forum" page for equipment ideas. Food is ultimately a personal choice. There are earlier discussions on this site about food that may be helpful.

As for taking advice on 14ers.com with a grain of salt, there are some members whose recommendations I would not trust but other members are usually quick to point out bad advice.

Postby Flatland Biker » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:59 am

If you can't trust a fart, put some toilet paper in your back-pack.
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:33 am

Hey, guys,..........Ortega is 16 years old. If he is not close to his ideal weight then it is because he is still getting taller and still has a few more pounds to put on!

Get in some running and upper body conditioning.....maybe hang out at a rock gym and walk a lot. But, mainly you need to give your brain more of a work out than your body at your age. Read everything you can about mountain climbing and hang around with people that do it.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby rijaca » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:39 am

Chris Gerber wrote:Don't forget to have fun.

Very good advice!!!!!!

Next