Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Im sure....

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Im sure....

Postby colokeith » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Get out there man!! I was horribly out of shape and weighed over 300lbs when I decided I wanted to climb 14ers. It was one of my main motivators to get my ass in shape. I now weigh 175 and have kept the weight off for more than 3 years. Being out of shape and overweight makes it much less fun, but it is dooable.

• Do as much as you can to prepare physically.
  • Consume plenty of food and water (at least 200 calories per hour of carbohydrate rich foods)
  • Be willing to push yourself hard and have a don't quit attitude, but make sure you leave enough in the tank for the descent and emergencies. It is much better to turn around than go over the limit
  • When the going gets steep practice the rest step http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_step and Pressure Breathing http://expadventures.com/2013/06/high-altitude-techniques-pressure-breathing/
  • start early like really early so that you have plenty of time
  • try to limit breaks to one 10-15 minute break every hour. Finding a slow steady pace that you can maintain is much more efficient than stopping and starting
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby MissMindi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Pretty excited. Tomorrow is the day!!!!!!!!

Postby ameristrat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Postby globreal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 pm

MissMindi wrote:Pretty excited. Tomorrow is the day!!!!!!!!

We are excited for you! You can do it!

And saying that to yourself is VERY important! When you start to hit the wall and want to give up, speak positive to yourself…

like, I CAN DO THIS, I AM GOING TO MAKE IT, ONE STEP AFTER ANOTHER, ONE STEP AFTER ANOTHER….

and before you know it you'll be on the summit celebrating!

And trust me, if you start the negative talk to yourself during this attempt, YOU WILL talk yourself out of it and give up. NO NEGATIVE WORDS…POSITIVE!!!
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Woot woot! You got this!!!!

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Crush it!!!!

Postby ccolgan32 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Good luck!

Postby MissMindi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 am

So. Here is an update.

I went. I saw. I started hiking and twisted my knee and ankle. I was going up and the way stepped, I fell and twisted my ankle and somehow my knee twisted with it. There was no way I was making it to the top, I could barely make it down on my own. I am so disappointed. I was wearing hiking boots and everything! My brother was not about to turn around, so we told him we would meet him at the summit, and we did. My husband helped me limp all the way to the summit point and we waited for my baby brother to get there.

I got bitten by the bug though. I want to complete one. I want to do it, bad. Right now, I am on bedrest, when we got home I went to the doctor who wants me off my feet today and tomorrow to let this heal, but after that, I will start to do some working out and I will attempt the next one in August!

Thank you ALL for you words of encouragement, this is a community I want to be a part of :)

Postby Fisching » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:29 am

Despite the injury(ies?), it sounds like you enjoyed the experience.

While there is a remedy to the ankle and knee, there is no known remedy for contracting the contagious mountain fever. Sorry. :)
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby mtgirl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 am

Be proud of yourself for having the desire to try ! You beat everyone that day who decided to sit on the couch and do nothing. You got to see beautiful sights and got to see your brother summit. More than anything, now that desire to summit burns inside you. You have a goal, now work hard and GO FOR IT !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Txhiker42 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Which peak did you hike?

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:38 pm

I used to have weak ankles until I started hiking a lot. I'm sure you'll get further next time...whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? :mrgreen:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

PreviousNext