Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Im sure....

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Im sure....

Postby Dex » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:39 am

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31592&p=371839#p371839
Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:07 pm
MissMindi wrote:I searched the threads and I didnt see exactly what I was looking for, but maybe I overlooked it. My husband and I are *very* out of shape. We have a goal to be in well enough shape to climb a 14'er next summer. I want to be able to build up my tolerance so to speak of working out. Here is where the problem comes in. I am currently pregnant which puts any serious conditioning and working out on hold until January when I have the baby. What do you recommend as far as getting ready for a climb for a very out of shape couple, both while I am pregnant and then more rigorous after the baby is born to get ready for the climb. Also...what 14'er would you suggest for the first time...

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 am
MissMindi wrote:I am sure you guys get this question a lot, but I am going to ask it anyway and hope for some guidence.

Is it possible for someone out of shape to summit on an easier mountain? I am horribly out of shape, but I dont give up. I did the fight for air climb and went up 50 plus flights of stairs in an hour. My baby brother is in from NC. I want to take him on my first summit, this has been something I have been wanting to do forever. He is very in shape, plays sports all the time, and is excited. I will be bringing my husband, who is out of shape, but not as bad as me. Just tell me this is possible. And what is the best peak closest to Denver to do this.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby MissMindi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 am

I'm not really sure the point of qouting my first post from two years ago. I had a very different goal back then. my goal was to get healthy and then hike up now my goal is to make it to the top without being healthy.

Postby kansas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 am

Last edited by kansas on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 am

Mindi,

Don't be put off; like everyone else has said, get up, get out, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. That's how a mountain is climbed. One small step at a time.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Cruiser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 am

Overweight and out of shape people make it to the top of 14ers every day during the warmer months. Getting up the easier ones really isn't all that difficult a physical task. A lot of it comes down to mental toughness. When you're really out of shape you can still probably summon up the will to put one foot in front of the other. You just have to be willing to suffer a bit. And if you do manage to make it to the top you'll feel like you've won the lottery!

That said, it might not be a bad idea to invest in a heart rate monitor so that you can maintain a pace that doesn't put your system at too much risk. Like other have said, start good and early because the thunderstorms can begin rolling in at 10am or even earlier this time of year.

Good luck!
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 am

highpilgrim wrote:
MissMindi wrote:I'm not really sure the point of qouting my first post from two years ago.

Dex is quite the internet sleuth, sharp-witted as a tack. He's just proving it to you.

wait...his wit is sharp as a tack? or he has the wit of a tack? When critiquing intraweb posts, you must be less ambiguous...how are the rest of us to know if we should grab popcorn or move on to the next thread?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Dex » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:02 am

MissMindi wrote:I'm not really sure the point of qouting my first post from two years ago. I had a very different goal back then. my goal was to get healthy and then hike up now my goal is to make it to the top without being healthy.

Touché to wit
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby rickinco123 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

Wow! Am I disappointed. Dex, would it be possible for you to delete your post and then everyone who responded to it could delete theirs once that is done? This was very compelling reading, it would be nice to "restore" this thread. If you think you have some valid point to make, just come out and say it instead of conducting some sort of internet investigation.

That includes my post, can't wait to delete it.

Postby centrifuge » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:20 am

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said here regarding being able to summit a 14er if you are out of shape, I have seen people of all shapes, sizes, and ages summit 14ers, which is one of the best things about this sport! If this is a goal, then totally go for it! I just want to add one caveate that has not been mentioned with one brief exception. If there is something you are not mentioning in the initial question regarding medical conditions (and I am not saying you should disclose it here), then it may be worth talking to a Doctor to make sure you can do it safely. :)
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby Dex » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 am

rickinco123 wrote:Wow! Am I disappointed.

About what?
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby JeffR » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 pm

rickinco123 wrote:Wow! Am I disappointed. Dex, would it be possible for you to delete your post and then everyone who responded to it could delete theirs once that is done? This was very compelling reading, it would be nice to "restore" this thread. If you think you have some valid point to make, just come out and say it instead of conducting some sort of internet investigation.

Give him a break. He was fresh out of other threads to practice his usual keyboard diarrhea.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Postby paully » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I spent my first two years of 14er climbing at a whopping 270 lbs... getting off route on Kit Carson was the final straw that motivated me to drop weight... I encourage you to go for it, but do something like Grays.

PreviousNext