Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bierstadt Trail Run

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Bierstadt Trail Run

Postby Adventure Seeker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 pm

What about tying a jacket around your waist. Not always the most comfortable way to run, but at least you would have a little more protection. Check the weather and wind before your run and decide. Just make sure you look at the weather from not only the trailhead, but also the top of Bierstadt.

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:23 pm

jomagam wrote:Running from 11.5k to 14k is very different than your weekend runs from 5k to 7k, especially if you just moved to Denver from lower altitude. I'd run the first flat part, then just do it as a hike. Chances are you won't be able to run a 15-20% trail above 12k feet anyways.

All of the advice in the thread is good but jomagam's comment echos exactly what I was thinking. The trail steepens considerably above 12K and you may be stunned at the impact of altitude on your ability to run even if you have become comfortable at 5K.

If you need step up runs to prepare for running high, try going from NCAR (Boulder) to Bear Canyon trail to the West Ridge trail and on to Bear Peak (http://www.protrails.com/trail/boulder-denver-golden-fort-collins-lyons-bear-peak-via-the-mesa-trail-and-bear-canyon). It has the length you are looking for at 12.7 miles, has a steady, gradual incline, and will introduce you to 8K. Next, go to RMNP and run Twin Sisters which is about 7 miles RT, has a pretty consistent climb and tops out at almost 12K.

Don't forget sunglasses.

I use a very small 8L golite pack that rides high between my shoulders to carry bare necessities. If you run like Anton, you can out run any inconvenience so just a small water bottle will do. :-D

Postby randalmartin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm

jomagam wrote:Running from 11.5k to 14k is very different than your weekend runs from 5k to 7k, especially if you just moved to Denver from lower altitude. I'd run the first flat part, then just do it as a hike. Chances are you won't be able to run a 15-20% trail above 12k feet anyways.

+1 on that. Finding a pace that you can sustain will likely mean a fast walk above 12k. The first 2 miles (below 12k) you will probably be able to run/jog. The last 1 or so, doubtful.

Postby jomagam » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 pm

To sum it up:

Don't think about it as a trail run, but treat it as an acclimatization hike. Bring a small backpack, camera, little food, maybe a book to read. If you're still not tired when you get back to your car (which I seriously doubt), then head over to Squaretop Mountain. Spend as many active hours at altitude as you can. Enjoy and let us know how it went !

Postby ergometer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Alright I guess I'll try and bring a small bag, and just go as fast as is comfortable. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes.

Postby sad2 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:18 pm

+1

Postby MountainMedic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Rob Jansen did it in 1:38 last summer while training for Leadville...that's really fast. I'd aim for 2:00 if you're fairly quick and feeling good.

Postby ergometer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Did it this morning, had a blast, whoever guessed two hours was right.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13673

Postby DaveSwink » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:26 pm

ergometer wrote:Did it this morning, had a blast, whoever guessed two hours was right.

Nice job! I read you got to meet the infamous Bierstadt willows too. :-D

Postby ergometer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Haha yeah, that shower hurt afterward. Cuts all over my legs

Previous