Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigawon Road

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Tigawon Road

Postby pudgy » Sun May 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Considering a Holy Cross trip in early June, but with all the late snow, when do you expect Tigawon Road to open this year?

Re: Tigawon Road

Postby joelmpaula » Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 pm

The road will be open on june 21.

Postby pudgy » Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Thank you, I'll make other plans.

Postby TallGrass » Sun May 19, 2013 11:26 pm

You can still bike up the road (access-wise, dunno current conditions). There's a U in the gate for hikers and bikes. Or you could Homestake it in. :twisted:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby dnye » Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 am

Approximately how late in the year does the cross stay "in" and by "in", I mean for a visual reasons, not to ski or climb :-D

Postby mfariss44 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:08 pm

I am considering Holy Cross via Halo Ridge on June 9th. Any one have any info on what the conditions will be like once on the ridge? Any clue if the ridge would be fairly compacted or wind blown or would it be a potential nightmare with all of the talus/boulders. Just trying to make an informed decision before biking in 8 miles. Any info/opinion/speculation is appreciated. Thanks.

Postby TallGrass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 pm

See my first TR for some ridge shots from the shelter. I was too bonked, sore, and dehydrated to give it a go. From the shelter, Halo gets progressively rockier and a lot of talus hopping and climbing.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby skibum4life » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:23 pm

I conquer with Tallgrass. I did Halo last June and it's quite the effort (not saying it's bad, but just be prepared). Don't let the mileage fool you. We had snow cover all the way to the shelter ridge that makes for slow going, so I can almost guarantee continuous snow coverage into late June with the later storms we've had. You can mostly avoid it by taking the side of the ridge out of the wind, but some spots, like going up the second peak, get tricky. Remember that you climb seven summits from the shelter (up, down, up, down, up, down, up to Holy Cross, then back). A very fun scramble though in my opinion if you're up for it.