Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Free access to all fourteerners?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Free access to all fourteerners?

Postby peter303 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Fletch wrote:Between gas, gear, an the occasional motel, you'll easily drop a grand or two...

Sounds like another 14ers contest: record for the lowest cost to climb all the 14ers. Ground rules? Gas? Food? Equipment? Lodging? Fees?

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Fletch wrote:Between gas, gear, an the occasional motel, you'll easily drop a grand or two...

Yes they are free, but free is relative I guess... :lol:

The real cost is the addiction. Yeah, that first one was free, but now you're hooked...
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri May 10, 2013 3:19 pm

$3 to park at Kite Lake (can be avoided by parking lower)
$10 for Maroon Lake (can be avoided by entering before booth is manned or after September 30)
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby TallGrass » Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Even if there's a fee for RMNP, you can still get in free on Free Entrance Days in the National Parks.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Bean » Fri May 10, 2013 3:33 pm

denvermikey wrote:Evans has a fee to drive the road (not sure of cost).

Free.99
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby denvermikey » Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm

peter303 wrote:

Sounds like another 14ers contest: record for the lowest cost to climb all the 14ers. Ground rules? Gas? Food? Equipment? Lodging? Fees?

I think this guy might be odds on favorite...http://news.yahoo.com/photos/man-hitchhikes-around-the-world-slideshow/?.tsrc=sun?date=300330030030
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri May 10, 2013 3:39 pm

peter303 wrote:Sounds like another 14ers contest: record for the lowest cost to climb all the 14ers. Ground rules? Gas? Food? Equipment? Lodging? Fees?

At least one person has done all the 14ers by using only human power (walking, bicycling, skiing etc) between summits, and between summits and home. I guess it's still possible to spend money on hotels, campgrounds and access fees.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Fisching » Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:Longs isn't free, there's a park entrance fee to access it. Don't give Culebra a look unless you want to pay. Pretty much everything else is up for grabs.

Technically, people are SUPPOSED to pay for using the Longs Peak area of the park (campground aside), but it's not enforced and relies on the honor system where the individual should proceed to an entrance station afterward their recreational use and pay.

fletch wrote:Between gas, gear, an the occasional motel, you'll easily drop a grand or two...

Just continually borrow gear that you have no intention of returning then bum rides off your friends and don't offer to pay split the gas. Boom! Problem solved.
And an unrelated note, is anyone heading to Shav & Tab this weekend? I need a ride from Sao Paulo. Also, who has some snowshoes they can lend me?
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby dpage » Fri May 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Fisching wrote:
EatinHardtack wrote:Longs isn't free, there's a park entrance fee to access it. Don't give Culebra a look unless you want to pay. Pretty much everything else is up for grabs.

Technically, people are SUPPOSED to pay for using the Longs Peak area of the park (campground aside), but it's not enforced and relies on the honor system where the individual should proceed to an entrance station afterward their recreational use and pay.

It would seem that the staffed ranger station at the Longs Peak TH would collect a fee if we were to pay for using that TH. It seems more like we pay a fee to drive on roads that are in the park's boundaries instead of accessing trails such as Twin Sisters, Lumpy Ridge, anything that enters the park from the north...

Postby peter303 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:
peter303 wrote:Sounds like another 14ers contest: record for the lowest cost to climb all the 14ers. Ground rules? Gas? Food? Equipment? Lodging? Fees?

At least one person has done all the 14ers by using only human power (walking, bicycling, skiing etc) between summits, and between summits and home. I guess it's still possible to spend money on hotels, campgrounds and access fees.

Food can become a significant extra cost if one adds a month or two to self-travel between all the peaks.
Athletic people coudl eat a lot.
I notice extra food is the most costly part of running, compared to the cost of gear.

Postby John Landers » Fri May 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Yes they are free, but free is relative I guess... :lol:

Still cheaper than some other vices I can think of....

Postby herdbull » Sat May 11, 2013 8:24 am

It's cheaper only until you get caught by the mtn climbing bug and expand your climbing to other countries and bigger mtns :-D

Ask me, I know first hand - haha.

PreviousNext