Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Free access to all fourteerners?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Free access to all fourteerners?

Postby allthissummer » Fri May 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I was just wondering if it is free to access all of the fourteeners? I have only climbed Longs (which is free) so far, and hope to hike many more this summer and was hoping I might be able to skirt park fees.

Re: Free access to all fourteerners?

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri May 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Longs isn't free, there's a park entrance fee to access it. Don't give Culebra a look unless you want to pay. Pretty much everything else is up for grabs.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri May 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Culebra is privately owned and the ranch charges $100 to climb it. You can see more details on the route page.

http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=cule1&peak=Culebra+Peak

Postby Presto » Fri May 10, 2013 2:04 pm

by EatinHardtack » Fri May 10, 2013 2:00 pm
Longs isn't free, there's a park entrance fee to access it.

:wft: When did they start doing that? Gosh, I've climbed that many times, without entering the park, and never paid a dime.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby denvermikey » Fri May 10, 2013 2:05 pm

The Chicago Basin can cost you as a majority of the people take the train ($90 I think?) to get to the trail. Culebra is on private property and they charge a $100 fee to climb. Evans has a fee to drive the road (not sure of cost). Otherwise, all other peaks can pretty much be hiked with no fee.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri May 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Presto wrote:
by EatinHardtack » Fri May 10, 2013 2:00 pm
Longs isn't free, there's a park entrance fee to access it.

:wft: When did they start doing that? Gosh, I've climbed that many times, without entering the park, and never paid a dime.

Longs is free.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron

Postby George James » Fri May 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Yea there's no entrance fee at the Longs Peak Trailhead. Even if you're starting from a trailhead on the west side of the peak you probably aren't paying since you're most likely driving through the entrance station before they start charging. Only gotta pay if you wanna camp.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Oooppppssss, as you can see I have never climbed Longs....and I've only been to park once ten years ago. I'll shut up now.

Postby Dave B » Fri May 10, 2013 2:26 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:....and I've only been to park once ten years ago.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby schrund » Fri May 10, 2013 2:34 pm

The Barr Trail trailhead charges for parking, which is a comon way to climb Pikes Peak - though it's not really a charge to climb the peak. I think the same may now apply to the South Colony Lakes TH (Crestones, Humbolt) though I haven't been there in awhile so I'm not 100% sure.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Tornadoman » Fri May 10, 2013 2:50 pm

schrund wrote:The Barr Trail trailhead charges for parking, which is a comon way to climb Pikes Peak - though it's not really a charge to climb the peak. I think the same may now apply to the South Colony Lakes TH (Crestones, Humbolt) though I haven't been there in awhile so I'm not 100% sure.

There was no fee to park at South Colony Lakes TH as of August.... don't know if this will change for this year, as I remember hearing a rumor that they *might* start charging at some point.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 pm

No fee for South Colony. The shortest route up Pikes Peak (Crags/Devil's Playground) has free parking. You can also park on Ruxton below the Barr TH for free, although that probably won't last much longer.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Next