Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Advice for trip in June

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Advice for trip in June

Postby Presto » Fri May 10, 2013 3:46 pm

by TallGrass » Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Now, whipping out your $1k ice boots to show the cashier at a grocery store in July, that'd be showing off. :lol:

:wft: Did you get those from Neptune? :-k 5-Finger Discount. :-$ Just kidding. :wink: O:)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby mike_kadow » Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Presto wrote:
by TallGrass » Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Now, whipping out your $1k ice boots to show the cashier at a grocery store in July, that'd be showing off. :lol:

:wft: Did you get those from Neptune? :-k 5-Finger Discount. :-$ Just kidding. :wink: O:)

Ha! I was thinking the same thing, but figured someone else would beat me to the punch.

Postby peter303 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Another factor is the type of vehicle you are renting. Some of the above suggestions assume you have a truck-class vehicle to get to the trail heads. Acess roads are (1) paved, (2) graded dirt, (3) bumpy dirt, or (4) from-hell. There are plenty of peaks in the first two to keep you busy. Truck-class vehicles cost more to rent and drive.

Postby pw » Sat May 11, 2013 10:53 pm

mapel wrote:Hello everyone,

1) From reading tour reports it seems like most people camp at the trailheads. Is it realistic to hike a 14er if you have to drive from the hotel to the trailhead first?

2) I have identified Leadville as a town closer to a number of trailheads, again considering we will have to drive there in the mornings first. Do you agree or do you have any suggestions for other towns situated close to trailheads? (This is not limited to 14ers) Eventually we'd want to stay at several towns during our vacation.

3) A lot of people say you have to leave early. I am aware this depends on the specific peak but what is early? 4am, 6am? Would 8 am still be feasible?

4) Considering that we only have 11 full days and that my parents will need a day or two to recover from their flight, I was thinking about climbing around four 14ers at most, climbing a few 13ers and taking a few days off to do other things. Does that sound reasonable?

Max

1,2 You could stay in Buena Vista and be at the trailhead for Yale in probably 25 minutes or less (I enjoyed Yale, I can recommend that one). Missouri, Oxford, Belford, Harvard, Columbia, Princeton also not that far from Buena Vista or Leadville.

3 - The way you want to look at it is the idea is to be ready to be off the peak by noon to be ahead of threatening weather. So you need to figure out how fast you climb, how much vertical you have on that particular peak, then what time you need to leave in the morning to get to the top and be ready to leave the summit by noon or so (if the weather looks bad of course).

4 - yes that sounds reasonable. There are plenty of thirteeners around, needless to say, and you will see far fewer people on them, most likely no one or only a person or two. Near Leadville you have Bull Hill, Oklahoma, French, many others. By Fairplay you could try Horseshoe, for one.

Previous