Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New to the forum and 14ers!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: New to the forum and 14ers!

Postby ak47 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:42 am

Advice: Climb Blanca's south ridge from huerfano th, such a fun off-trail route with amazing scenery!

Re: New to the forum and 14ers!

Postby zdero1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:55 am

I climbed La Plata my first year in Colorado and it was a great step up from Quandary and Sherman. I climbed the non-standard route up the SW ridge. It's about 3,400' gain and only 7 miles round trip, which is as short and sweet as you'll get in the Sawatch Range as the majority of the routes are a slogfest. You would need a 4wd to get fairly close to the TH but they do have some spots to pitch a tent at the TH if you wanna make a two-day trip out of it.

The views are spectacular, particularly when you reach the top of a moderately steep slope. You see Huron and the 3 Apostles in all their glory. Speaking of which, Huron Peak is a wonderful climb and in my opinion has some of the best views in the Sawatch Range if not the best of all the 31 I've done so far.

I've been a couch potato for most of my life and only after moving to Colorado and getting to the mountains have I started to become active. It's a life-changing journey and I'm so excited for you to continue yours.

Best,

Mike

Previous