Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Please stay on the trail.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Please stay on the trail.

Postby ajkagy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:24 am

reinhold wrote:Since it's on Elbert, I'm guessing mountain bikes have played a role in the trail braiding

highly doubtful since there is much more hiker traffic than biker traffic on elbert. Also, hikers cause much more trail erosion on moderate trails than bikes.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby DArcyS » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm

It seems like some of these new trails form when rocks settle into the existing trail and people don't want to step on them or modify their step to avoid them. It would probably be too much to ask people to remove rocks on the trail as they hike. It's more of a CFI function, and a pretty easy one at that -- hike the trail to remove rocks so that people aren't tempted to start a new trail.

Postby Oldskool70 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:11 pm

I blame the mountain sheep. Those pointy toes & total disregard for their surroundings...makes me sick. Plus they are up there all...the...time!!! :x
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby sjpwarsaw » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:23 pm

I remember hearing in a CFI meeting a few years back that dogs off leash do 20 times the damage of 1 human when above timberline. I think it's very important to do our part in preserving the environment for our kids, grand kids, etc.

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

sjpwarsaw wrote:I remember hearing in a CFI meeting a few years back that dogs off leash do 20 times the damage of 1 human when above timberline. I think it's very important to do our part in preserving the environment for our kids, grand kids, etc.

Agreed but to what extent? Should we all lock ourselves inside our houses and never leave in the name of preservation?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby Doctor No » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:07 pm

ajkagy wrote:Also, hikers cause much more trail erosion on moderate trails than bikes.

Source for that? I'm assuming that you're comparing one biker to one hiker, since you've already adjusted for that in your statement.

Postby YooperJonKornely » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm

GET OFF THE GRASS YOU JERK!
Attachments
MtGoat.jpg
MtGoat.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 413 times

Postby Tigerbear » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Same goes for packing out poop!
I'll pack mine out when all the cows in the Fairplay area stop pooping in denver's water supply!
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...

Postby ajkagy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Doctor No wrote:
ajkagy wrote:Also, hikers cause much more trail erosion on moderate trails than bikes.

Source for that? I'm assuming that you're comparing one biker to one hiker, since you've already adjusted for that in your statement.

there's been numerous studies showing mtn biking causes no more erosion than hikers. If anything they cause less of a footprint since tire width is much less than the walking gait of a human. There's also many more hikers vs. mtn bikers on trails in general thus hikers contribute to a much greater share of trail erosion and degradation. If you compare a popular trail primarily used for mountain bikes vs. a popular trail primarily used for hiking you'll find in more instances than not that the mountain bike trail has a much smaller width/footprint.

bikers are usually the first group that are blamed for trail damage and the first group to go out and repair trails...at least from what I've seen around where I live.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Bean » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 pm

reinhold wrote:Since it's on Elbert, I'm guessing mountain bikes have played a role in the trail braiding

I'm quite sure that they have not. That's hiker damage.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Bean 2 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Bean wrote:

I'm quite sure that they have not. That's hiker damage.

I'm quite sure those are mountain bikes. Nice try Bean.
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Bean 2 wrote:I'm quite sure those are mountain bikes. Nice try Bean.

:lol: This is quite funny.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

PreviousNext