Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er newbie - frequent urination while hiking, AMS??

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: 14er newbie - frequent urination while hiking, AMS??

Postby Kevo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am

jblyth17 wrote:
milan wrote:I will be a little off topic but did you guys realize, that people also fart a lot in high elevations? At least I do. Like crazy. Is there any explanation for that? Is that AMS too?

Good old "mountain gas"...always wondered this too. MountainMedic - please enlighten us!

Less atmospheric pressure at altitude allows stomach gasses to expand. Expanding gas needs a place to go, so....

The most persistent altitude symptom that I have seems to be heartburn. I never, ever, get heartburn in my day to day life, but I get it all the time at altitude. i think it has something to do with atmospheric pressure as well.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 am

I've occasionally had problems with heartburn when hiking, but I usually thought that it was just because the food that I was eating was significantly different than my day to day diet, and was screwing with me that way.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am

milan wrote:I will be a little off topic but did you guys realize, that people also fart a lot in high elevations? At least I do. Like crazy. Is there any explanation for that? Is that AMS too?

HANEOUS

High-Altitude Noxious Emissions Out Ur Sphincter.

I know it's not heinous, as the way the word actually is spelled.

HEINOUS

High-Elevation Inadvertent Noxious Or Unsatisfactory Smell... that works, too.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby MonGoose » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 am

aka alti-too-dees

Postby climbingaggie03 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:02 pm

HAFE High Altitude Flatus Expulsion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_altitude_flatus_expulsion it's on wikipedia, it must be true.

Postby painless4u2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm

HAFE High Altitude Flatus Expulsion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_altitude_flatus_expulsion it's on wikipedia, it must be true.

Also known as 7-11 Burritosis. Very dangerous stuff.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby abqben56 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 pm

climbingaggie03 wrote:HAFE High Altitude Flatus Expulsion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_altitude_flatus_expulsion it's on wikipedia, it must be true.

And here I'd thought it was all the 4 AM coffee.

Postby gkblackwyo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:07 pm

MountainMedic wrote:I love that people keep trying to find another reason for these symptoms. It was AMS. You ascended to high altitude and shortly thereafter exhibited a throbbing diffuse headache, polyuria, and nausea. Textbook. In the absence of a significant previous medical history, you won't find a doctor who tells you otherwise. I'm not saying dehydration couldn't have played a role, but your medical diagnosis was AMS.

I don't care if you were cold, or have a small bladder, or were dehydrated (well, I do, I don't want you to have to worry about any of that). Even if that's all true, you still had AMS. Keep training at altitude and with any luck you won't get it again!

Actually, with AMS urine output decreases.

Postby milan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Kevo wrote:
Less atmospheric pressure at altitude allows stomach gasses to expand. Expanding gas needs a place to go, so....

The most persistent altitude symptom that I have seems to be heartburn. I never, ever, get heartburn in my day to day life, but I get it all the time at altitude. i think it has something to do with atmospheric pressure as well.

I've been thinking about that but less preasure is not enough to cause so much of it. If we assume that the gas behaves as an ideal gas, then its behavior is described by this equation:
pV=nRT
p is pressure (in pascals, not PSI), V is volume (in m^3, not cubic inches, feet nor miles), n is amount (in moles, unit new enough that nobody was able to screw up yet), R is a constant and T is temperature (Kelvin, not Fahrenheit nor celsius)....
All n, R and T are constants (assume now no additional gas forming and body temperature is constant) and preasure changes from 83 000 Pa in Denver to 61 000 Pa on a 14er, which means volume increases 83 000/61 000 which is 1.36 times. So from 1 gallon of the gas in Denver, you have just 1.36 galon of gas on the summit of a 14er. In my opinion, not enough. I think that for some reason, the bacterias in our intestins start to work like crazy and increase the production. Maybe the body somehow supports them as they may help extract more nutrition or something like that...But I thought that somebody with medical education may know what exactly is going on..

I also sometimes suffered heartburn high in the mountains.

Postby tehchad » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:48 pm

MountainDawg wrote:I was expecting a total train wreck on this thread!

I certainly was not expecting this! Good thread all! I'm learning. =D>

Postby tehchad » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:53 pm

climbingaggie03 wrote:HAFE High Altitude Flatus Expulsion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_altitude_flatus_expulsion it's on wikipedia, it must be true.

I'm in tears!!!! :lol: :lol:

Postby djkest » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 pm

peter303 wrote:[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

djkest wrote:You might also try some ibuprofen when you are nearing the summit on the way up. It can help alleviate symptoms of AMS (although it does not prevent AMS in any way).

Very dangerous medical advice. Dehydration and iproprofen can terminate your kidneys.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/14/health/la-he-0214-painkillers-backfire-20110214
http://voices.yahoo.com/an-important-warning-pain-relievers-kidney-5793882.html

Funny because I asked a very intelligent Medical Doctor who did some research and concurred that taking ibuprofen prophylactically was acceptable for this use. I never said to take ibuprofen and become dehydrated.

This HAS been discussed on 14ers.com before to great lengths...
Last edited by djkest on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

PreviousNext