Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

First Climb- Saturday?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

First Climb- Saturday?

Postby Newb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:30 am

Hello all- I have been reading the forum off and on all summer and am happy to have joined! My girlfriend and I have been wanting to climb a 14er all summer. Long story short, this coming weekend is the first free weekend we've had in a while! After reading many of the different posts on the forum we have chosen to climb Beirstadt for a variety of reasons. We have done a lot of hiking (mostly to alpine lakes so I can fly fish :-D ) and are in good shape. The thing that has me worried now is the weather. Looking at the forecast it looks like their predicting 4-7 inches of snow up there today. Will this create issues for us Saturday? Thanks for the help!

Re: First Climb- Saturday?

Postby Brimstone10 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum. While I cant really say for sure if the snow will be an issue this weekend, I would like to say that if you and your girlfriend are ever looking for hiking partners, my girlfriend and I are always looking for people to hike / climb with. I've done a few myself, but took her to Bierstadt two weeks ago to do her first 14er and she really enjoyed it and wants to do more. I feel Bierstadt was a good one to start her out on. Anyways, enjoy and hit me up if your heading out again sometime.

- Mark

Re: First Climb- Saturday?

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:51 pm

I wouldn't think you'd have much of an issue by Saturday. The forecast for the rest of the week is sunny and warm, so whatever snow Bierstadt got today should be melted off by Saturday. Either way, Bierstadt is easily doable with a couple of inches on the ground. It should have enough usage that the trail is still easily defined.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer