Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

Postby Exiled Michigander » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:22 pm

ChrisinAZ wrote:Longs - iconic, spectacular peak to finish on. Ditto for Capitol, N Maroon, and Sneffels
Pikes or Evans - non-hikers can join you for the celebration
Crestone Needle/Peak - if you want to save the most fun ones for last
Chicago Basin - if you like your finishers on the remote, rugged, and beautiful side
Uncompahgre - if you want to finish with the best views (IMHO) of any 14er. Handies comes pretty close

+1--you hit the nail on the head with this, methinks.

For your upcoming Holy Cross Halo Ridge finisher, be sure to spend a night at the Notch Mountain shelter. It would be a great time for you to reflect on what you've accomplished, and there is nothing like watching a thunderstorm from the shelter. Plus, it has a fireplace! Hike up a Duralog or two and you're in business.

Postby gdthomas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 pm

You can plan ahead but it doesn't always go according to plan. My finisher was Wilson Peak because private property issues prevented the possibility of an earlier attempt. As it turns out, I completed that climb with several other 14ers.com members who were finishing as well...and they had beer.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:48 pm

I went with Pikes for the whole "family can join you" reason. My family is from Chicago and aren't really hikers. The two that were in better shape that could have hiked it were both asthmatics from 600' above sea level, so it really made the most sense to make it driveable for them. We had been up it in 1976 when I was barely a year old via the train, so it also had a sentimental part to finishing there.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:51 pm

I have two left (Illegitimi non Conundrum; unranked bumps on larger mountains don't count) and hope to finish on Longs. This is partially a happy coincidence, as getting to Longs has never been real convenient for me, whether I was flying out from Chicago or now living in Summit County. But I also wanted my finisher to be relatively challenging but not too hard, and noteworthy as a summit itself.

Holy Cross via Halo Ridge is another excellent choice. If you want nonhikers to join you, I'd do Pikes via the Barr Trail.

fleetmack wrote:Can't speak for a finisher as I don't plan on finishing them, but I can tell you which one to do second-to-last.

Columbia. My opinion is that one should only climb this once that person is positive he or she will climb all of the 14ers, but don't do it last, because you want to enjoy your final 14er.

That is in fact an issue with the Northeastern lists, especially Owls Head in New Hampshire. Eighteen miles round-trip to a completely treed-in summit. There are 48 4000-foot peaks in New Hampshire and just about everyone does it 46th or 47th. No one would hike it if it weren't on the list, but no one wants to finish on it either. It was my 47th.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby tehchad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm

ChrisinAZ wrote:Pikes or Evans - non-hikers can join you for the celebration

I was thinking this would be sickawesomecool!

ChrisinAZ wrote:Peaks that I'd find less ideal for finishing on: .... Sherman or Bross (because they're Sherman and Bross).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D> =D>

Postby ameristrat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:00 pm

ChrisinAZ wrote:If you're the religious sort, it'd have added significance too...

This is my feeling, personally.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:24 pm

I believe in good mountain mojo (don't anger the mountain gods!) and this is not it.

"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Finishing the 14ers is for quitters.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Tory Wells wrote:I believe in good mountain mojo (don't anger the mountain gods!) and this is not it.

Agreed, but believe it's fine to say you hope to finish on a certain mountain. Especially if it's the Centennials and your desired finisher is in fact Hope.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby summitbound » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:54 pm

I left Elbert for last..(planning on Sept 30..for anyone who wants to come). Mainly so my non hiking family and friends could join me. Plus its the tallest...lol
All the previous comments about what you are after will really guide you to the right one. That and a little bit of fate on how things play out with your current list.

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:05 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:I believe in good mountain mojo (don't anger the mountain gods!) and this is not it.

Agreed, but believe it's fine to say you hope to finish on a certain mountain. Especially if it's the Centennials and your desired finisher is in fact Hope.

Haha! Nice!
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm

My plan is to finish on Evans. My first was Bierstadt, so I plan to repeat up Bierstadt and then traverse over to Evans. Do first and last in one push and have my family be able to meet me.

PreviousNext