Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

Postby nfire » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 pm

fleetmack wrote:Can't speak for a finisher as I don't plan on finishing them, but I can tell you which one to do second-to-last.

Columbia. My opinion is that one should only climb this once that person is positive he or she will climb all of the 14ers, but don't do it last, because you want to enjoy your final 14er.

semitrueskerm wrote:Off all the 14ers, Columbia is the one I'm least looking forward to climbing. Hope to catch it in the winter.

how bout climbing it from frenchman, i did and it was great.

i've posted this a million times on this board.

Postby ameristrat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm a long way off - only appraoching halftime - but I'm planning on Holy Cross as my finisher.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby smoove » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm just hoping that none of the 14ers are my finisher.

Postby Billy the Kid » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:23 pm

With the peaks I have remaining, I have decided to finish on San Luis. I wanted to pick an easier peak that family and friends could join me on, even if they did NOT have a lot of 14er experience. I chose to avoid and Class-4 and 3 peaks, as not everyone would or should climb these...just another way to look at it. Whatever you decide, I'm sure the experience will be something you will never forget!!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott

Postby mountainjam » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Billy the Kid wrote: I wanted to pick an easier peak that family and friends could join me on, even if they did NOT have a lot of 14er experience.

I went with the same thinking as this except I chose Handies as my finisher. It was a short and easy day (good for friends and family that don't hike a lot) and incredibly scenic. After the hike we drove to Lake City and had a great time celebrating. Fun times for sure!
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews

Postby painless4u2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:46 pm

I do recall other threads on this, but anyway looks like it has worked out to be Culebra for me. Not the most ideal for some, I'm sure, but I've avoided paying the $100 as long as possible. Also, I've now convinced my wife to join me on this one to help me celebrate (will be her first 14er), as it's a gentle walk-up. Of course, now I'm going to be out $200!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby MtHurd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:46 pm

I didn't plan on finishing on any particular 14er because I never really planned on climbing them all. But after 30 years, I only had two left, Missouri and Massive. I did Missouri second to last via Clohesy Lake (beautiful lake, way better than doing it via Missouri Gulch) and then finished off on Massive. I had approx. 10 friends join me with some home brew on the summit. It couldn't have worked out better.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Longs - iconic, spectacular peak to finish on. Ditto for Capitol, N Maroon, and Sneffels
Pikes or Evans - non-hikers can join you for the celebration
Crestone Needle/Peak - if you want to save the most fun ones for last
Chicago Basin - if you like your finishers on the remote, rugged, and beautiful side
Uncompahgre - if you want to finish with the best views (IMHO) of any 14er. Handies comes pretty close

Peaks that I'd find less ideal for finishing on: Elbert (yeah, it's the highest, but not all that interesting besides that), Antero (ATVs), Culebra (pricey and not very interesting), Wilsons group (worthy climbs, but loose enough to detract from the enjoyment of finishing), Sherman or Bross (because they're Sherman and Bross).

As for me, I'm planning to finish on Holy Cross via Halo Ridge next summer. It looks like a gorgeous area, is tough enough to be worthy of being a finisher, but is easy enough that it should be quite doable on a good-weather day. If you're the religious sort, it'd have added significance too...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:02 pm

ChrisinAZ wrote:If you're the religious sort, it'd have added significance too...

Would you like to borrow Jesus Bear for your Holy Cross finisher?
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby nkan02 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:07 pm

I gave it some thought and came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter. The weather and logistics decided for me. I would have been entirely content with any of my last 4 (MHC, WP, MW, El Diente). I was just so happy to be done with the list!

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 pm

id like to finish on pikes so my family could join the moment. they dont hike, but im sure they manage to drive the road to the top. but thats so far in the future for me i try not to even think about it

PreviousNext