Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

1st 14er next weekend deciding between Bierstadt or Sherman

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

1st 14er next weekend deciding between Bierstadt or Sherman

Postby bdayberry » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:25 am

I am looking at doing either of these two but am trying to figure out from reading previous trip reports on which one would be a better pick this time of year to avoid snow/ice as much as possible. I realize no one can predict the weather but just trying to get a grasp of the possibilities before I make a decision. Sherman is a little further away but from as far as I could decipher from reports seems to be dryer this late in the season. Can anyone point me towards one of the two?

Re: 1st 14er next weekend deciding between Bierstadt or Sher

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:28 am

Quandary.

Postby CO Native » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:29 am

Both are completely dry right now and only some wild unforeseen weather will change that. Neither is going to have any ice or snow this weekend.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby plantmandan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 am

I would say Bierstadt is a much prettier hike.

Postby djkest » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 am

Bierstadt, Quandary, and Sherman are all fine choices.

Quandary has great scenery and a good trail that is easy to follow. Summit puts you near the Tenmile range, Breckenridge, and Hoosier Pass. This is more elevation gain (climbing) than the other 2.

Bierstadt is also very scenic and is shorter / easier. The summit puts you near Mt. Evans, and you may have views of Grays/Torreys, Pikes Peak, and other mountains. You do start off the trail going downhill and then walk for a mile on a boardwalk in a marshy area.

Sherman could to be argued to be the least scenic, but there are some old mines around. The trail is OK, it's a little loose near the middle. It's the shortest/easiest depending on how high up the road you drive.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby peter303 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 am

At most, Thursday night's snow flurries will just be a dusting - easy to walk around or over.
I'd prepare more for wind chills as cold as the 20s - jacket, hat, light gloves. You can take them off as the sun gets warmer.

Postby bdayberry » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks for all the great responses and good information. Given that weather seems to not be as much of a factor as I thought, I am leaning towards Bierstadt in light of your comments on its scenery over Sherman as well as its closer proximity to the city. Hopefully I'll get a chance to make a good trip report for it with lots of good pictures. Thanks again guys.