Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Can women safely camp alone on a 14er?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Can women safely camp alone on a 14er?

Postby scalba123 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Most def... and if you really want to ruffle some feathers, hike with a gun, a dog, a bible, and Paul Ryan. And don't forget to poop on the summit!

If you get any flack, just blame it all on Bill.

Just get yourself a man. You know a woman's life is empty without one. [I'm blaming Bill for this post.]

Postby Leigh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:57 am

Stereotype wrote: So, I almost feel inclined to avoid trails with a lot of hikers.

I used to feel this way, but now I almost feel the opposite after many dayhikes alone. If you see people here and there all day long, I find it reassuring. However, if you haven't seen anyone for two days and along comes one person, that makes me a little jittery. I guess in my paranoid state, I think of having people around as "safety in numbers"

Also, definitely start small and work your way up to a long trip or you won't get any sleep. And bear spray isn't a bad idea!

Postby Brian C » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:08 am

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been an instance where a hiker saved themselves from another human with a gun in the modern world (in the wilderness)? I guess hiking around with a gun on your hip could likely deter would-be attackers but it seems like it could also deter would-be nice folks from wanting to talk to you. I don't know the statistics, but it seems like walking around on a CO trail is safer than a lot of other places you could be and the only realistic thing you might ever need to defend yourself against would be black bear, maybe a lion, or the boogie men you create inside your head. I'd say if you're worried about it and it makes you feel better, carry bear spray. You'll almost be guaranteed to never have to use it and it'll give you some peace of mind while being much cheaper than a handgun (and you don't have to worry about shooting yourself).
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby scalba123 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:08 am

anna wrote:
scalba123 wrote:Just get yourself a man. You know a woman's life is empty without one. [I'm blaming Bill for this post.]

:justkillme:
Consider yourself smacked across the head. :D

I deserve it. [But I just could not resist...]

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:21 am

scalba123 wrote:Just get yourself a man. You know a woman's life is empty without one. [I'm blaming Bill for this post.]

If you opt for the "man solution," try to get a small one with a strong back. That way, he can double as a pack animal *and* tent-warmer, and won't take up too much space. :D

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:26 am

susanjoypaul wrote:

If you opt for the "man solution," try to get a small one with a strong back. That way, he can double as a pack animal *and* tent-warmer, and won't take up too much space. :D

Hey, as long as the laundry is done and dinner is ready when I get home, it's a fair trade.

(my feeble attempt to keep this from becoming a gun thread)
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby kansas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am

anna wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:If you opt for the "man solution," try to get a small one with a strong back. That way, he can double as a pack animal *and* tent-warmer, and won't take up too much space.

Sage advice duly noted. I'll put that on the application. Perhaps located to "knows how to operate the toilet lid appropriately".

Who keeps letting you out of the kitchen to long enough to play on the computer?
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Dex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 am

I think if a person is going to carry a gun they should also carry pepper spray - it is good to have options.

Fox Labs has a 2oz size and then there is bear spray.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 am

Carry an ice axe. Unlike a gun or pepper spray, it might actually protect you from harm someday.

Bears, mountain lions, and bad guys don't kill hikers. Falls and uncontrolled slides on snow kill hikers.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:15 am

scalba123 wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:Most def... and if you really want to ruffle some feathers, hike with a gun, a dog, a bible, and Paul Ryan. And don't forget to poop on the summit!

If you get any flack, just blame it all on Bill.

Just get yourself a man. You know a woman's life is empty without one. [I'm blaming Bill for this post.]

See, my family was right - everything IS my fault. I apologize in advance...
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby peter303 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 am

Unless one believes the discredited [url](http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/menstruation_data.html)[/url] urban legends about monthly bleeding.

Postby gdthomas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:03 am

iquack08 makes a good point. If you have no experience hiking/backcountry camping alone, go with other people until you feel comfortable and confident, then venture out on your own. You can then decide whether or not carrying a gun is prudent. As Jim Davies said, the elements should be a bigger concern than a hook handed, blood sucking, escaped convict.

PreviousNext