Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbed My First 14er

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Climbed My First 14er

Postby Mustheis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:13 am

I just hiked my first 14er (Bierstadt) on Tuesday, at age 66 - and I have lived in Colorado for 41 years! I could not agree more that it is a wonderful exhilarating new discovery. My sons and I got to within 100-200 feet of the summit when a gray but not apparently threatening cloud began to dump hail on us around noon so the better part of valor took over and we started on the way down. I have rarely had such a feeling of physical accomplishment, even if the summit eluded us.

Postby Gareth » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 am

Mustheis wrote:I just hiked my first 14er (Bierstadt) on Tuesday, at age 66 - and I have lived in Colorado for 41 years! I could not agree more that it is a wonderful exhilarating new discovery. My sons and I got to within 100-200 feet of the summit when a gray but not apparently threatening cloud began to dump hail on us around noon so the better part of valor took over and we started on the way down. I have rarely had such a feeling of physical accomplishment, even if the summit eluded us.

Welcome to the club! :-D
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Mustheis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:25 am

Thank you! I retired a year ago from a very stressful career and in my long list of pre-retirement goals I listed 14ers, one of many things I had never had (or made) the time for. What a world I have missed! The euphoria kicked in by the air, the beauty, the exertion, the camaraderie and the "triumph" of joining the club made Tuesday, August 28, one of the best days of my life.

Postby Kitten » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 am

Congratulations to both of you for the first summits! Elbert was also my first 14er, watch out... now you'll become addicted! :wink:
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby JJJR » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 am

Congratulations. I have had a long journey with these mountains. Interrupted by periods living in Dallas, Chicago and caring for ill family members. Now living near Boulder I keep coming back as I am sure you will. Welcome to those bitten by the bug!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you...
while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. John Muir

Buy the ticket, take the ride. H.S.T.

Previous