Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Volunteers for Harry Gates Hut 8/7/12 -8/9/12

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Volunteers for Harry Gates Hut 8/7/12 -8/9/12

Postby lisatema » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:14 am

Hello 14er Fans... So I am an avid Peak Bagger-- I've climbed 25 of the 14ers so far... but I have a favor to ask my fellow 14er fans. Anyone also a fan of the 10th Mountain Hut Division? I have been volunteering for them for 13 years now and we chop all the firewood and get the huts ready for the winter. I am in charge of a volunteer trip to the Harry Gates Hut outside of Eagle 8/7/12 through 8/9/12 and need 5 more volunteers. You get to stay at the hut for free while you work and as a thank you for volunteering, you get free credits to use for winter or summer trips. If you are interested, you can find more information at www.huts.org or please e-mail me, Lisa, at lisatema@gmail.com. Thanks for your help and for letting me post this! The huts need your help! Happy 14ering!

Re: Volunteers for Harry Gates Hut 8/7/12 -8/9/12

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 am

Last edited by MUni Rider on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Re: Volunteers for Harry Gates Hut 8/7/12 -8/9/12

Postby Mel McKinney » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:04 am

Hi Lisa,
I'm happy to post some info on my FB account. I'm dogsitting so I can't make this volunteer effort, but we really want to join in on one of the Sept efforts. Is there info on the route to the hut (roughness of road, etc...)? Feel free to send me a PM on here.

Thanks and good luck!
Mel
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing