Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What Age Can My Child Start Hiking Fourteeners?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: What Age Can My Child Start Hiking Fourteeners?

Postby epende » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 am

My 4 year old son just hiked his first 14er yesterday. It was Mt. Sherman. Here is the trip report: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12726&parmuser=epende&cpgm=tripuser

Postby edhaman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Why not take your lead from the guy I saw a few weeks ago: running down a 14er trail with his infant in a backpack.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Are there any midwives here? Maybe someone could give birth on the summit of a 14er...Nobody would ever break that record. :lol:

Postby blazebo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Barry Raven wrote:Are there any midwives here? Maybe someone could give birth on the summit of a 14er...Nobody would ever break that record. :lol:

i've tried making a few kids on 14ers does that count? :oops:
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:08 pm

blazebo wrote:
Barry Raven wrote:Are there any midwives here? Maybe someone could give birth on the summit of a 14er...Nobody would ever break that record. :lol:

i've tried making a few kids on 14ers does that count? :oops:

Only if conception occured.

Postby andrewhamilton » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I have an 8 year old (Calvin)who started at age 4 and has been up all of the 14ers (including Sunlight Spire) and a 5 year old (Axel) who has been up 14 14ers. My secret with both of them was/is to take polished rocks or crystals and hide them on the tops of the peaks when we get there. They are so determined to make it up to find the "jewels", that they will endure just about anything to get to the top. My 5 year old says to people that he only climbs in order to get the jewels at the top.

One warning with this method was that when I finally told the 8 year the truth about the Jewels, it didn't take him long to figure out the truth about the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus shortly thereafter....

The other thing I realized very quickly was that they move much faster if I carry all of the gear and don't make them wear a pack. At least for the first few years.

In my experience hiking with the young kids requires an endless amount of patience and positive energy. It is very hard. And mountains that would take me 3 or 4 hours to finish on my own take upwards of 10 hours with the kids. But the reward has far outweighed the pain and I watch in amazement now as they go zooming up and down the mountains.

Postby elhombre » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:27 am

Just another data point for you; My little girl did her first 2 at age 4. I had carried her up two others the year before. I wanted to make sure the kid was able to effectively communicate any problems she was having. For obvious altitude reasons. We saw a guy carring his crying baby (less than a year old) up Democrat this summer in a back pack. :wft:
“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.” Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado, leading congressional sponsor of a federal ban on high-capacity magazines.

Previous