Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

One day class 3.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: One day class 3.

Postby Doctor No » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Sky wrote:Also, El Diente is doable in a day from the Kilpacker TH.

I wouldn't recommend El Diente (from any side) as someone's first class three. It's unpleasantly loose.

Postby edhaman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:10 pm

From what I've done, I'd suggest Father Dyer or Kelso Ridge. But whatever Class 3 you choose, I'd suggest finding someone to do it with.

Postby emiller » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm looking for a partner for Father Dyer to Mt Helen on Friday. Should be a good deal of class 3.

Postby Hungry Jack » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

I attempted the Mt. Helen - Dyer traverse last week and loved it. We made it about 2/3 of the way, pretty much through the fun stuff, and then bailed out into Mohawk Lake basin because we did not like the look of the weather. But it is a really fun traverse that rarely gets traffic.

Kelso Ridge is great too in that it presents 3 really good class 3/4 walls on the way up. I also like Quandary's West Ridge, but the real fun stuff does not hit you until you are within 100 yds or so of the summit. It is a long walk down if you find out you are not up for the white rock knob or class 3/4 chimney that follows. Kelso gives you earlier warning signs, which is helpful if it's your first class 3.

Democrat's N. ridge is good too, but it is decent walk (about 4 miles) from the Montgomery Resevoir TH to gain the ridge. Beyond the Shark Fin tower and the big black slab that follows, you are mostly ridge scrambling to the summit. You can sweeten the fun by traversing to Mt Lincoln and descending via its amphitheater directly down to Montgomery, but be sure to get some good beta on the descent, because safe routefinding there is a challenge.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby 2giqs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:57 am

I'd second the climb up Wetterhorn. In getting to the summit you'll hike thru various terrains with good visuals along the way. Some climbs can be a bit of a slog; Wetterhorn should be consistently engaging. If you have the time, you could do Handies or Redcloud/Sunshine as a warm up.

Postby DeTour » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:07 pm

I throw in with the Wetterhorn gang - moderate length, beautiful, really fun but not terribly difficult climbing. The ridge routes mentioned here would be good choices, too - Kelso, Quandary West, also Sneffels Southeast. Do not attempt El Diente unless you have some significant class 3 experience that you haven't mentioned. The mountain is far more dangerous than most of the others mentioned in this thread.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Previous