Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

lake city questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: lake city questions

Postby sjpwarsaw » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:41 pm

I've been to Lake City the last 3 summers. The Alpine Loop is a great scenic drive if you take a off day of hiking. Some of it can be driven in a 2wd but it is a 4wd road. One of coolest and biggest waterfalls I ever seen on the north side of the loop. The ghost towns and mining areas are amazing. I did the loop in 8 hours, most people do it in 6. Handies from American Basin is a great hike with a lot of flowers. I remember a family of ptarmigen living in one of the carins about 3/4 of the way up. A lot of marmots on Uncompahgre. Got rained out the 1st year, 3 days last year and missed Wetterhorn and Sunshine. Looking forword to getting them this year. As far as touristy things (I don't fish either), drive on thru town and past the lake and check out the Slumgutton info. Interesting geological features that created the lake. Packer Saloon is an interesting place, a cross of Green Bay Packer football and canibalism (watched a Bronco game there once). And of course check out the Alfred Packer memorial. As far as places to stay, there's a new place when you first enter the town as there's a 90 degree curve in the road. It's across the street from the Chamber of Commerce and the Post Office. I don't have the name but might have it in a file at work. Google/maps don't have it yet. The best way to describe it is a bed-n-breakfast without the breakfast. Shared kitchen and there's 5-6 rooms. One of the rooms is rented by the bed but the other rooms are private with your own bath and reasonable rates when I was there. Sorry to hear about the Tic Toc - they had awesome pancakes. I have sprint with a black berry phone and had cell coverage in town but nothing outside of town. The phone might make a difference. :P

Postby DeTour » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Sneffels is right in the area and would make a great finisher. If you took the Alpine Loop to Silverton, it's right up the road. But I'd advise avoiding the road from Engineer Pass directly into Ouray - it gets real primitive down toward Ouray. Lots of threads on that topic on this site.

If you like Wetterhorn (bet you will) you might consider the southwest ridge route on Sneffels - similar difficulty, IMO, great climb, beautiful basin, classic mountain. If your "thigh power" is feeling the wear, Sneffels can be a fairly short climb by 14er standards, especially if you're not stuck on the 3,000 foot rule.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby Nathan Hale » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:17 am

Personally I think that the SW Ridge route on Sneffels is much more difficult than Wetterhorn. Wetterhorn's difficulties are about 100 feet or so while the difficult parts on the SW ridge are > 500 feet and have more exposure in places.

Both are great climbs though!
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:53 am

sjpwarsaw wrote:One of coolest and biggest waterfalls I ever seen on the north side of the loop.

Whitmore Falls is 1.9 miles past the bridge, just beyond the Capitol City Townsite, on the left side of the road. There's a sign marking the trailhead. It's a short, steep, and loose hike down to the bottom.

sjpwarsaw wrote:I have sprint with a black berry phone and had cell coverage in town but nothing outside of town. The phone might make a difference. :P

I definitely need a better phone!

San Juan Ron wrote:Also, the Tic Toc closed. SJ Ron

Well NOW I'm depressed :(

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:05 am

For you Tic Toc Diner lovers, there is a Tic Toc Diner in Gunni! SJ Ron

Previous