Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

lake city questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

lake city questions

Postby pudgy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 pm

normally i'm a front range, sawatch hiker, but i'm headed to lake city for the first time on july 23rd, staying at least 4 days..a few questions..
#1. what's the cell phone service like (sprint)
#2. best place to stay for around $60 or less per night
#3. wetterhorn as my first class 3...
#4. on off day, what's to do? i don't fish, sorry....
i know i can find some of this info elsewhere, but your insights always prove invaulable...thanks in advance for your help....

Re: lake city questions

Postby gdthomas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 pm

pudgy wrote:normally i'm a front range, sawatch hiker, but i'm headed to lake city for the first time on july 23rd, staying at least 4 days..a few questions..

Don't know about Sprint but AT&T is fine in town.

Can't help you unless you want to camp.

It's a good intro to class 3 but the short pitch (150') is exposed.

Rent a Jeep and drive to Ouray and back to Lake City via several high alpine 4WD roads.

i know i can find some of this info elsewhere, but your insights always prove invaulable...thanks in advance for your help....

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 pm

pudgy wrote:normally i'm a front range, sawatch hiker, but i'm headed to lake city for the first time on july 23rd, staying at least 4 days..a few questions..

1 - No Sprint service AT ALL in Lake City. You lose it about halfway between Gunnison and the turn-off to the Silver Thread Highway
2 - Try one of the small cabins with cot/platform for your sleeping bag, and shared showers - some even provide a continental breakfast
3 - I think that's a good choice for your first one!
4 - Ditto on gdthomas' suggestion: rent a Jeep and head up Engineer Pass

Also, the Tic Toc Diner has awesome breakfasts... and support the local economy, but gas up in Montrose or Gunnison first - you'll pay a lot more in Lake City.

Postby BKS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

verizon service was fine in town.
There aren't many typical tourist activities in town. Mini golf. ATV rentals. Antique shops in downtown. Touring the old mining loop in jeep/ATV is probably top attraction.
There are lot of group cabin type places in town. Haven't stayed there. I suspect they are well over $60.

http://lakecity.com/index.php/places-to-stay/hostel - haven't been there.

Postby HikerGuy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:42 pm

#1 - I have AT&T. Voice works for me, but data does not work. However, there is free WiFi in the vicinity of the town library (next to Southern Vittles).

#2 - Cabins at http://www.elkhornrvresort.com/

#3 - Last pitch is short, nice, and solid rock. Great Class 3 intro.

Postby Shasta Locales » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:22 am

HikerGuy wrote:
#2 - Cabins at http://www.elkhornrvresort.com/

We stayed there 2 summers ago. Definitely a great inexpensive place to stay.

Postby JQDivide » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:17 pm

If I recall a new hostel opened this summer in LC?
Should be under $60.
Have you seen God in His splendors, heard the text that nature renders? (You'll never hear it in the family pew).
The simple things, the true things, the silent men who do things -- Then listen to the Wild -- it's calling you.
R.W.Service

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:26 pm

The hostel is Raven's rest. Also, the Tic Toc closed. SJ Ron

Postby Beaker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:19 pm

1 - Was just up there and I did get cell reception in town (I have sprint)
2 - I would suggest the Elkhorn Cabins (but I know they dont have any vacancies...or at least they didnt last I checked) Try G&M Cabins or Alpine Village
3 - Just did Wetterhorn and it was a) a beautiful hike b)physically rather easy, and c) really not that bad of a scramble (looks worse than it is)
4 - +1 on Jeep or ATV rental - wish I was there longer and could've enjoyed that!
5 - If you haven't done Uncompaghre yet, it is a really fun hike.
6 - Make sure your camera batteries are fully charged - the wildflowers are really beautiful
You have a cough? Eat a whole box of Ex-Lax tonite, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

Postby djkest » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:34 pm

#3 Wetterhorn's final pitch is one of the most fun sections on any 14er I've encountered (going up, anyway). The tricky part for me was starting the climb down from the summit.
#4 Engineer Pass is awesome, I would recommend it. From Lake City, you could go over engineer, go to Silverton and grab some food there, and then head back over Cinnamon pass for the full alpine loop.

Also doing Uncompahgre is highly recommended. It's easier than Wetterhorn, with some nice views. It's a pretty short hike for a 14er, although the road to the TH is a little rough, our friend just did it in a Subaru Forester.

Redcloud/Sunshine, Handies, Sneffels all highly recommended if you have the time. Of all those, I recommend checking out Ouray and Mt. Sneffels if you have the time. Ouray has great dining, good views, and Sneffels is.. a very special place. Shameless plug:
http://exploringandwine.blogspot.com/2012/06/icon-of-san-juan.html

Maybe more suggestions than you wanted.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby doggler » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:04 pm

+1 to the Ravens Rest. Amy Jo and Lucky are awesome, the rates are super cheap, the place is clean, and the location is prime.

Postby pudgy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:35 pm

this type of input is the reason this website is invaluable to people like me!! thanks so much for all the info and suggestions..i'm still sorting out climbing options...probably start with handies (24th) to get acclimated...then wetterhorn (25th)...umcompahgre (26th)...depending on 'thigh power'...i'll also try holy cross (28th) on the way home....i always 'overplan'..makes me feel better!!
thanks again.. =D>

Next