Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Useful Apps for iPhone?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Useful Apps for iPhone?

Postby mjeemurphy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Climbing Mt Princeton this week as my first 14er. I have the 14ers app for iPhone, but curious if any others recommended? I feel I need to get an altitude app at the least. Just want to be able to track where I am as best possible.

Re: Useful Apps for iPhone?

Postby Tim A » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Having only hiked two 14ers, someone else is probably better qualified to talk about how effective apps are in the backcountry, but I use an elevation app and a radar app. The elevation app proved less useful than I thought it would as once you're away from wifi areas and relying only on your 3G or 4G, it has trouble pinpointing your exact location. My garmin GPS was far more accurate and reliable in that field. Radar images are much more important, especially if you're hiking or climbing in an area with an obstructed field of vision in one direction or another. I had a great deal more peace of mind climbing Gray's on Memorial day when I could keep checking the radar to see if there was anything threatening behind Gray's and Torreys, as you can't really see over them from the standard route until you're nearly on top of them.

Postby llamaman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I rarely use apps in the backcountry, but topo maps app (http://topomapsapp.com/) is great and could be used effectively in the BC. The maps are high res scans of USGS map and they are stored on your phone so no signal needed to use the app.

Postby Hiker Mike » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:26 pm

This is an interesting app that would be of use in some cases. It is free and there is an ad free one available as well.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/army-mountaineering-guide/id418527780?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/army-climbing/id340540860?mt=8
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker

Postby USAKeller » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:32 am

You should check out Theodolite Pro - GPS, compass, inclinometer, and more...it's pretty sweet.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:46 am

Get a GPS! SJ Ron