Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Advice for a first timer

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Advice for a first timer

Postby aussie56 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 am

If you do Sherman you have to park way down at the Leavick mine to get 3k feet so road is not an issue

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 am

Bierstadt is slightly easier than Quandary in my opinion, but they're so similar it's pretty negligible. If you can do one you can do both. There is no scrambling on either unless you take the East Ridge of Bierstadt or the West Ridge of Quandary, or cross the Sawtooth to Evans. The top 200-300 feet on Bierstadt is only Class 2.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Scott P » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 am

It doesn’t matter that much which is easiest. Niether is severely more difficult than the other and if you can do one you can do the other.

As long as you are reasonable healthy and take a bit of time to acclimatize, either one should be in your reach.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Previous