Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Evans-Sawtooth-Bierstadt in Reverse

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Evans-Sawtooth-Bierstadt in Reverse

Postby chalupa356 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 am

Is there a reason why it seems that people generally climb Mt. Bierstadt first when planning to traverse the sawtooth to Mt. Evans? I want to hike both 14ers from Guanella Pass but want to ascend via the west gully. Is there an additional obstacle that I should plan on resolving?
"In the heart of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

Re: Evans-Sawtooth-Bierstadt in Reverse

Postby Jim Davies » Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 am

Nope, works both ways. You're more likely to get wet feet on the Evans side, so carry extra socks.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby djkest » Tue May 22, 2012 7:27 am

Routefinding is probably more difficult in reverse. Mainly finding the right place to downclimb into the traverse area. And that West gully isn't very nice. Good luck!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Vids » Tue May 22, 2012 12:44 pm

+1 on the west gully sucking, steep with loose gravel for a lot of it. If I had it to do over again I would have gone a little further north and gone up Spalding. We ran into some people that did that instead of the gully and they said it was much easier.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue May 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Read this for some hints on getting to Evans without sinking into the swamp:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5221&parmpeak=Mt.+Evans&start=100&cpgm
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby chalupa356 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Read this for some hints on getting to Evans without sinking into the swamp:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5221&parmpeak=Mt.+Evans&start=100&cpgm

This is fantastic beta. I wouldn't have found it without you sharing it - thanks! I'll test it out on Monday and share what I find.
"In the heart of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus